Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Lake Eildon - Climate Discussion

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by cherylfoster, Jan 11, 2011.

1. In recent years, Lake Eildon seldom met, and vacation destinations, once flourishing around the lake have been unable to attract visitors, which led to considerable economic hardship. Although water is in great demand for agriculture, strict regulation has remained relatively stable production.

2. Re: Lake Eildon

13 years since it had water at Bonnie Doon, its the drought, we have them all the time,
    It works on about a 9 year cycle, soon as the drought breaks, Which is now, we will have another 9 years approx of floods, then another drought, lasting from 7 to 15 years, Then floods again, its the way it goes, and no young Uni grad can make or say it differentently,
    Global warming, a load of crock,
  3. Re: Lake Eildon

Locals tell me that Eildon was emptying long before the drought. They blame privatisation of the water supply, with every drop being sold off to irrigators as soon as it got into the dam. I can remember it being dry at the Bonnie Doon end about 11 years ago (used to ride dirt bikes around the dry lake bottom, getting chased by rangers in 4WDs was great fun!).
    This year is the first that supply has exceeded demand in more than a decade. That's why it's filling up. The water company doesn't care about tourism or the locals, but then we also need food production I suppose.

Never mind, we'll bring a different kind of tourism. I'm starting this week :grin:
  4. Re: Lake Eildon

Do you actually have a reference for this?

I've just looked at the rainfall observations from 1971 through 2010 and your nine year cycle does not appear in the data. There are wet years and dry years but there doesn't seem to be any pattern.
  5. Re: Lake Eildon

My first time up to Eildon was in early 1997 and it was really dry then. 1996 was a very wet year.
  6. Re: Lake Eildon

Mont De Lancy Museum, Wellington Road Wandin has the full weather report from 1860 till now, Hanging on the wall, For every one to peruse.

Two 15 year droughts, so this 13 year one is by no means a record, River red gums on the Murray can withstand a 17 year drought before turning up their toes,
    I was in Mt Isa in 73 74 The 10 year old kids there had never seen rain,
    Then the drought broke, Flooded the whole of QLD,
    We got 10 inches of rain in 18 minutes,
    Took five minutes to make the bare dry river bed 6 feet deep in rushing water,

The floods in QLD at the moment are not the worst in history,
    91 46 where even higher,
    Brisbane in 72 was totally flooded, My brother in laws parents house roof top was 10 feet under the river,
    I was living there at the time, I could not got to work, the companys building was totally submerged.

I used to think the droughts were about a 7 year cycle, but after looking at the report above, it works out to be on average, approx 9 years,

These cycles may vary by 5 or so years,

The worlds weather is based on thousands of years, not the last 50 or so,
  7. Re: Lake Eildon

in the 80's, I used to water ski behind and under the bridge at Bonnie Doon, It was full then,
  8. Re: Lake Eildon

Yep, I had a runabout boat in those days and we'd take it to Eildon for skiing, fishing, etc....
    Remember I had to lower the arial so we could get under the Bonnie Doon bridge....
    I remember onetime, we could almost touch the underside of the bridge from the boat.
  9. Re: Lake Eildon

Well maybe that is true for Wandin but it certainly isn't true for Australia. The good scientists at the Bureau of Meteorology and at CSIRO do not hold that view. They look at the data and have come to the conclusion the the climate is changing. You can believe the Mont Delacy museum if you chose, I'll go with the scientists.

The Queensland floods are a result of an unusually strong La Nina. These happen periodically as it was in 1974 when QLD flooded. The Queensland floods are a weather event.

The Meteorological Year ended in Nov 2010. It was the second hottest year on record globally.
  10. Re: Lake Eildon

What a difference 3 months make ...

Pic 1 .. Lake Eildon early October 2010
    Pic 2 .. Lake Eildon 9th January 2011

We were up in Jamieson for the 1st week of Jan ... everywhere we went there was water .. what a nice change .. Bonni Doon was full too !!

Attached Files:

11. Re: Lake Eildon

Actually because it rained up north early last year and that water ended up in Lake Eyre it's not evaporating and being dumped as rain all along the eastern seaboard of Australia.

It's going to keep going for a while yet as any the current rain on the western side of the ranges in FNQ will make it's way to Lake Eyre.
  12. The La Nina event which started in May last year has given Australia it's third wettest year on record. BOM Annual Australian Climate Statement 2010

Queensland has had it's wettest year on record. Queensland summary.

13. Globally significant weather changes exist on a micro and macro scale. At one end is the very temporary worldwide drop of temperatures as a result of large volcanic ash blocking sunlight, a good example was the one in 1783:

On the other extreme are things like major ice ages, which occur in cycles of hundreds of millions of years. You are right that the activities in the last 50 years have as near as no impact on overall climate change on such a large scale.

However, most all published scientists in this area agree that man made climate change is real - and while it is not nearly significant enough to be talking about the climate change the earth experiences on the scale of hundreds of millions of years - it's certainly enough to cause changes in the ocean levels (leading to large displacements of people), species extinction, food shortages and so on.

Perhaps the most recognised scientific establishment in the world, the Royal Society, has some really good PDF's that talk about it all in a non-scientific way - summarising the findings of all other peer reviewed scientists:

14. Worth comparing their current simple guide to climate change with the one they published just 3 years ago:

They basically now acknowledge that there is still a lot that isn't known about climatology, and are trying to distance themselves from the old days of declaring the end of the world in a bid for political attention (and money).
  15. Re: Lake Eildon

Wandin is in the middle of the Yarra Valley,

The good scientists of the Bureau of meteorology and the CSIRO believe that the Yarra Valley is not part of Victoria's, Australia's and the worlds weather,

Thats good to know,

50 years ago the weather bureau could not tell if it was raining outside their building,
    Today, with millions of dollars worth of the latest equiptment to help them predict the weather,

They still cant tell you accurately wether it is raining outside their building,

Why, Because they are too lazy to walk out side and look.
  16. Your linked document contains answers to common questions about climate change.

It certainly wasn't hysterical and all of what they said then still stands today. Not sure what the point of linking that document was other than to muddy the waters.
  17. Re: Lake Eildon

It's part of Australia's climate but it certainly isn't Australia's climate.

The data that the BOM have collected does not match your assertion that there is a nine year cycle to the weather.

Weather and climate are not the same thing.
  18. This is gold
    A spammer starts off this discussion, gets banned and we getr something out of it.
    Gold :)
  19. “some uncertainties are unlikely ever to be significantly reduced”.

“The size of future temperature increases and other aspects of climate change, especially at the regional scale, are still subject to uncertainty.”

“There is little confidence in specific projections of future regional climate change, except at continental scales.”

“It is not possible to determine exactly how much the Earth will warm or exactly how the climate will change in the future.

“There remains the possibility that hitherto unknown aspects of the climate and climate change could emerge and lead to significant modifications in our understanding.”

Just because scentists are not certain about every aspect is doesn't mean climate change is a crock of shit.