Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Laid the new bike down

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Devilcv8, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Had what started out as a bad phone call from my son
    "dad, I just crashed the bike". The bike (new GPX250)being a xmas present from me and the missus.
    Turned out that a couple of kms out of town on his way to work (he's 16 and 10 months) the bike coughed, he opened the throttle, dropped a gear, opened the throttle then tigged that it may be low on fuel so switched to reserve. Bike still didn't fire so as he came to a stop he lowsided as he hit the white line. Passing motorist stopped and helped him stand it up, no damage bar a few scratches to the bike. Jacket and pants did their job well (leg was under the bike) and no soreness at all.
    He told me he had half a tank of fuel but after pushing it a few hundred meters back towards home I spoke to Wayne at canberra motor cycle centre who after me passing on things to try, ended up ringing my son and talking him through getting the bike going.
    He had done 260km on this tank (275 last tank, no reserve) but turned out it was low on fuel. Just had to hit the starter and hold it till it fired (30 seconds).

Speaking to my son further I find out that he fills up with the bike on the side stand, but only fills to about 5cm down from the top.... He has now been educated and won't make that same mistake again. After all that, he gets to work late and they send him home (after telling him to either get a lift home, or wait till the shakes are gone) and give him a replacement shift.
    Hated being so useless sitting 250km away...

2. It happens

Live and learn, ay :)

Understand the frustration - I'd rather be next to useless and on the scene than useful and too far away!
  3. First of all, sorry to hear about the off, but lucky it's one he will be around to boast about.

Secondly great to see you guys assisted him into motorcycling, I often ride out with my son, and they are always great days. (although it's bloody difficult trying to keep up with his R1)

Lastly from one Kwaka rider to another, can you please tell your son that bikes perform better while upright and if he wants to drop bikes, go out and buy a bloody Honda or a Spuzuki and throw that down the road. :LOL:
  4. Bugger. Glad it wasn't too serious, a lesson he is not going to forget anytime soon I reckon.
  5. Double bugger, glad that it wasn't to bad though.

I bet he never runs out of fuel again :wink:

Must have been horrible for you being so far away from him though :cry:
  6. I actually went out and got my L's for the bike as well, although when I do my ride around the block (gotta love non declared areas) I go to a full bike license.
    Good thing was he rode the 35km to work, and then again back home. nothing like getting back on the horse when it throws you, have to show it who's boss
  7. suzukis dont get thrown they glide elligently :LOL:
  8. Just an update.

Finally got a chance to check the bike out. Very light scrape on exhaust, footpeg, gear lever, centre stand. Heavier scrape on mirror mount and on the corner of the fairing (less than 1 inch square) and the left handlebar is bent ever so slightly, which will account for him saying the bike feels funny at slow speed.
    It goes in for it's first service wednesday and I'll get them to check the front end alignment. If the only damage is the handlebar, I'll replace that myself. looks easy enough. anyone know the cost on a left handlebar for a GPX?