Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

L to pre-provisional (NSW) in 4 weeks?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Cris, Jul 2, 2014.

1. How long do you guys reckon is needed to go from (entirely new) L plater to doing the pre-provisional/MOST?

I was going to take about 3 months over it, but my nearest test centres are booked out to the end of the damned year, so I had to grab a spot in just under 4 weeks. I can cancel up to 2 days ahead if I don't feel ready, but I'm going to give it a go. I'm by no means a natural, but am disciplined and determined and can probably manage an hour or two most afternoons.

Does anyone reckon that's achievable (or not)?
  2. Cris, you are not allowed book in until you are on your 'Ls' for at min 3 months. Then when you want to book your test ASAP you need to get on 6 weeks before the first day you are allowed to sit the MOST and the say should be open for you to book in. Hope this helps.
  3. Ah, should have explained -- in 4 weeks I will have had the Ls for 3 months (it took me a couple of months to find a bike, so I wasn't riding). I've already made my booking.

I'll hang on to the booking and cancel nearer the time if it just looks stupid. But am interested in opinions.
  4. Ah I see, Keep the booking mate! In four weeks you should be ablw to get up to a standard to pass the test. Join the Learner rider sessions at home bush and get 5# 600ml plastic bottles (Half fill with water, cap off), a measuring tape ans a quiet car park.Set out the MOST course and you can gets loads of practice this way.

Take it easy at first and build up as you feel more and more comfortable. The test is not that difficult but nerves get the most of people... no pun intended. If you drive a car and already know the rules of the road you are in a good position.

Also, What bike ya get???
  5. 4 weeks easy if you spend enough of that time in the seat. Lay out the MOST course in a carpark and practice.
  6. Homebush would be a long way for a practise session! (I'm in Lismore). Would love to do the ride though ...

Thanks, setting out a practise course is a great idea. I'll do it. I'm not at all prone to test nerves so long as I feel competent ..

My bike's a CB500X, acquired 3 days ago. I love it.

(Urgent work calls, so must get off here for now)
  7. A CB500X will walk the test mate, nice wide bars and upright seating position. Get some practice, get comfortable and you will fly through the test. Don't get disheartening if you are not making the U-turn or cone weave at first, keep practicing and you will get it.

Remember head and eyes up (Look where you want to go), Keep your revs up, keep the clutch in the 'Biting point' and drag the rear brake.

Also, this video might help. (She is not hard to look at either :) )
  8. Good stuff, in the mean time go out for a ride on some quiet streets take your time and practicing accelerating, changing gear, turning and breaking. It will all help.
  9. Yep, just managed to get an hour in this arvo -- round and round a couple of blocks. I'm definitely getting a better sense of control and smoothness. I am longing to get out on an open road towards the hills or coast. Patience, patience.

For some reason the hardest thing for me seems to get going right or left at a junction from stationary. Heading off straight is fine, left or right feels tricky (and I had a couple of misssteps where I started forward and somehow lost the plot and had to stop and try again). I think it's pure psychology rather than a real technical issue. That must sound ridiculous to an experienced rider, but there it is.
  10. Cris
    Even if your fail the MOST on the day of your Ps course it is a simple matter to rebook to just do the MOST test component (at either Lismore or Kingscliff). You won't have to repeat the entire day.
    Good luck
  11. Thanks, and good point. But failure isn't my preferred option ;)
  12. If it's meant to be, you will pass.
    If you do not pass use it as an opportunity to better your skills.
    The learning doesn't stop with the MOST ... in fact it is just beginning.

Where are you booked?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Very good point!
  14. Quite. Given what's at stake, I don't see any end to the learning side of it (it's one of the things that appeal to me about riding anyway).

I'm booked in at Wollongbar TAFE. It's the closest to me (Lismore), and I did my prelearners there.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Have a good read of the cornering thread from robsalvv - the 101 is all you'll need for a little while. You might find its a mixture of technical snd psychology. The vision stuff is important and addresses both.
  16. That's an excellent post, thanks for the pointer. Also interesting to see so many new riders address points of anxiety similar to ones I have (tight slow turns, roundabouts etc).

I need to remind myself that it's totally reasonable to be a bit nervy with all of about 2hrs on-road experience.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Cheers, added to my reading list. Will be out practising for an hour or so in the back streets this afternoon.
  18. Practicing is good... Practicing with someone who can help you is GOLD!
    Ask for some help on here from a local rider.

Do not assume you will not get any instruction on how to ride a bike on the MOST Test Day.
    You are told what each element is and where to ride eg: go left of the cones and come to a stop here etc, You get to practice it on the bike for like 5 minutes - with everyone else, but if you are struggling you will not get help (you might get a little help if you are lucky and have a good instructor).

It's all well and good you seeing what people do in Videos, understanding the MOST test course etc.
    But having someone see where you are struggling and giving you helpful tips makes riding easier and more fun, and most of all helps you do the MOST exercises without getting frustrated and thinking some parts are Impossible.

Learn Balance and Counterbalance of your body weight and the bike lean to help you with the Cone Weave and U-Turn.
    I have seen many L's riders at Homebush struggling with these when on sports bikes.
    Sports bike don't have as much steering control as others and rely on bike lean to turn sharper.
    Even funnier to watch cruisers... but it can be done.
    Until someone tells them how to do it they will not make the turns - or find it hard to do them consistently.
    Once told they understand and work on the technique to make it effortless.
    Try and use your Rear Brake a little to hold the bike back, and with higher revs (high idle), slip the clutch in and out to control your speed and it will pull you through the elements.
    Try this just riding slowly in a straight line then with slow turns and see how you go.

Find out how to oil your clutch cable... you will be using this all day, and a slick clutch level pull is easier than a jumpy dry stiff lever - especially as you will need to slip the clutch by holding it and controlling your speed with it.

I know you can do it in 4 weeks.
    Put in the hours. Practice at night time.
    If you are having trouble ASK some questions here.
    If you are getting frustrated in practice then just take a one minute break then go and do another element then go back an try again.

Head Checks!

Cheers and Good luck.

Head Checks!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1