Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

L platers speeding (SA laws?)

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Fluffy Bunny Feet, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Does anyone know if its true in SA that if you hold a learners permit and are caught over 10Kmh over the limit you lose your licence for 6 months? would this be the same if you hold a full licence and lerners permit on the bike or only if you are a learner (car)

i got bloody snapped at 70 in a 50 zone wondering if i should just swap my fairings and claim forgery :p
  2. if it's anything like NSW, it basically comes down to the discretion of the RTA. because we don't actually have any points whilst on our L's, we don't have any points to lose. i got pinged for having a pillion whilst on my L's and the cop told me it was a $175 fine and 3 points. I paid the fine and never heard anything from the RTA. :D

that said, i have heard of instances where people have been caught in the 15-30km/h over the limit bracket that have had their L's revoked and have either had to wear it or go to court to plead their case.

however seeing as though australia doesn't have consistent road laws from state to state, this may not apply at all. :|
  3. Yeah why would you want to have consistancy, that would take common sense....

Oh well.... Bugger...
  4. Hmmm could always get a mate with a full license and plenty of points up their sleeve to sign an affadavit (sp??) saying they were riding.

Not that my copper partner would approve of that :p
  5. Conditions Applying to a Learner's Permit

As a driver on a learner’s permit you must:

* be accompanied by the holder of a full Driver's Licence (not being a Provisional or Probationary Licence) of the class appropriate to the vehicle being driven by the learner driver (not applicable to motor bike riders unless they are carrying a pillion passenger who must hold a full motor bike licence)
    * not drive a motor vehicle or attempt to put a motor vehicle in motion when there is any concentration of alcohol in their blood
    * not drive a motor vehicle at a speed exceeding by 10 km/h or more of any speed limit under the Road Traffic Act or Motor Vehicles Act
    * not exceed the 80 km/h speed limit (or 100 km/h if accompanied by a Motor Driving Instructor, in a clearly marked driving school vehicle which is fitted with a passenger operated service brake) prescribed under the Motor Vehicles Act for learner drivers
    * not accumulate 4 or more demerit points during the Learner's Permit period
    * not drive a motor vehicle on the road unless the prescribed L plates are displayed so as to be clearly visible from the front and rear of the vehicle (rear only for motor cycles)
    * carry the Learner's Permit at all times whilst driving

A Learner's Permit holder who fails to comply with the Learner's Permit conditions, can be disqualified from driving for 6 months and have their permit cancelled. Any period of disqualification is not included in the minimum 6 month period that the Learner's Permit must be held before being eligible to obtain a Provisional Licence.

Note it says "CAN" not "WILL". I guess you will have to wait and see
    what happens. I don't think you have a right of appeal but I'm sure you will be informed of your rights.
  6. i reckon you are right, you may lose points but it would only be 3 so keep your nose clean until you get your Ps and id be cautious then aswell