Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

L platers 1st near miss

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' at netrider.net.au started by TheCatsMeow, Dec 6, 2011.

1. so im riding down springvale road on the far right lane until some car cuts in front of me and even worse yet suddenly brakes to a stop,

had 2 options that went through my mind A) right into a metal barrier thingo or 8) left and ride the line untill the car passes and get in behind.

so i pull the clutch in and narrowly missed the car on the line car is beeping and swearing at me lol and i move into the next lane....shook me up a little to the point where i asked my self "can i handle this blah blah might not make it next time blah"

BUT it came down to shit happens and im having too much fun on the bike to quit really. :blah:

2. I like that option A is to hit an armco

3. what????? btw do the sat prac sessions do braking id like to do some of that

4. E-Braking works IF the car thats hit the brakes stops outside your stopping distance, and is far enough ahead that you have ample time to react.. If someone pulls in a meter in front of you and instantly hits the anchors then youre pretty much ****ed no matter how many times youve been practicing.

5. Practicing e-braking would be a good thing, but also, as you get more experience, you'll learn to see those sorts of things coming. Maybe not every time, but, you will get much better at anticipating them, and avoiding the issue all together. Learning curve....

6. yeah i think im gonna start going to the sat sessions, iv been once seems alright.

7. I take metal thingo to mean armco, which is the name of the barriers that line 80% of our roads.

I found it funny that you said that your first course of action would be to hit the barrier, this is because of the implied order of having a Plan A, Plan B and Plan C etc. Your post made it sound like your first course of action was to crash your motorcycle.

Please advise if you have any questions in relation to the above.

8. ohhhh lol got ya

9. glad to hear you're ok.. prevention is better then cure, sat morn prac is a. free, b.helpful c. can save your life d.helpful and e. all of the above, err left and above, well you get the idea.

10. Man.. the problem here is that the idiot L-plater prolly thinks you're the one who just went in his lane... *sigh* if I had 1c for every move like that when I'm on the bike....

Glad you're okay tho'...