Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

L Plater season

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Miho, Sep 23, 2004.

1. It seemt the season is now open for L platers. This is a good thing but it means that the season is also open for seeing a lot of silly mistakes. The one I'm seeing the most and the one I think is the most dangerous is:

Riding in the middle of the lane. DON'T DO IT! That's where you'll pick up old engine oil on you tyres. Oil means no grip, no grip is a bad thing. The center of the lane is also where all the debris accumulates, anything from chunks of wood to used maccas drink cups to bits of metal to remains of a CBR250RR. Ride in either of the wheel tracks of the cars, their tyres clear stuff off the road for you, including ice in winter. Less stuff = more grip, grip is good :)

Also if your to one side of the lane it gives the car behind you somewhere to go if they stuff up, generally they will try to avoid you if they can.

My two cents worth.
  2. Good tip and fully agree.

It is also important to choose the appropriate track to ride in (visibility and safety reasons). For example it is usually advisable to choose the right hand track on a 2 lane road. This way you will be visible to oncoming cars, and also in the rear-view and right hand mirror of the person in front of you (if you are following someone) - people are known not to check their left hand mirror as often.

While this is a general rule, it does not always work - it is up to the rider to choose the most appropriate track for the situation that they are currently in. And just because you choose one track it can switch 100 meters up the road. Consider your visibility - both what you can see and who can see you, and also safety (i.e. where is the safety buffer in the case of an emergency)

Also gives you a place to go should you stuff up or the person in front of you stuffs up - you can get around a car much easier on the right/left you you are already on the right hand side or left hand side as opposed to the middle.
  3. Another tip for young players: When riding over a hill, move to the left side of your lane. This will gfive you more room between you and whoever is coming the other way. Useful when the oncoming vehicle has wandered over the line into your lane.

Another one: Do not, repeat, do not use your front brakes while leaning over to corner. It will cause you to run wide and also stand the bike up. This could push you far enough to cross into the oncoming traffic lane and if there is a car there......you get the idea.
  4. Another Tip: Practice, Practice, Practice counter steering. This is something they usually only touch on in your Learner course :evil: . It is also something that could save you on the roads, it could have saved marshy from totally his babyblade :cry:
  5. Don't ride above your ability. Take it easy until you have your confidence up.

Also, don't be afraid to ask more experienced riders for some tips. If they have been riding around for this long then they are obviously doing something right.

If you get a scare, pull over for a few minutes and take a breather. You start off again with a clearer head & you'll be clamer as well.
  6. HAHAHA Thanks mate!
  7. I'll post one up - in my limited experience I have learnt on many occassions already - "if you DON'T want to hit an object, DON'T look at it".
  8. Don't ride if you're fatigue. If you're tired, you will zombie out, and lack of concentration means you might miss the little but important signs that could save you (eg, the car in front hasn't bothered to do a head check and they're about to change lanes).
  9. This has been the best advice I've been given. Ride with as many experienced riders as often as you can. Listen & learn from them, try their suggestions if you don't they may stop offering them then you'll have to reinvent the wheel! Why make your own mistakes if you can learn from theirs!
  10. Yes , object fixation , it gets alot of riders in trouble . As flip said , practice . U never stop learning .
  11. head checks

Ive only been riding since march, and recently went riding with an experienced rider who rode behind me.

He told me that i needed to look around me a little more as i was only doing very limited head and over the shoulder checks, so i said thanks and took it on board.

Last weekend that information saved me from a crash, because i was looking around a bit more and watching traffic more cloesly i was able to avoid a side swipe on beach rd, caused by car driver not checking blind spot/looking over left shoulder before changing lanes.

Anyway like everyone says practice practice practice, and the ride to bendigo today was good, cold and windy, but good ;)

cheers :)
  12. Oh, ride daily if you can. In traffic. Expecting the worst from other road users.

Excellent for increasing your awareness on the roads.
  13. Yes, practice. practise counter steering and dont forget emergency braking. remember that not all emergency situations will happen in ideal conditions.. so practise in the wet on a cold morning, in the middle of a day in the middle of summer in temperaturse get so hot that your arse gets seared on the seat when you sit down. (doesnt mean to get out on a frosty morning and slam on the anchors 10 feet down the road from your driveway. thats asking for trouble)

main thing.. "SET-UP AND SQUEEZE" when you brake dont just grab a handfull it will lock the front wheel, it also might pay to see what happens when you do lock the wheel, (in straight line braking) locking at 100kph and 10kph feel the same, just that the black line goes for longer. just remember to release the brake and then SET UP AND SQUEEZE again. (only do this if you feel compfortable as it is easy to send the bike down the road when the front wheel is locked, you will fall down if you do not release the front brake) an empty carpark is a good place.
    Also braking uphill is easier then braking downhill, (where you will have more chance of locking the front, especially if its steep and your braking hard just when it levels out again. the suspension will compress further and become less compliant of bumps in the road and further reduce traction)

Also countersteering and braking will not always save your skin, be prepaired to "drive out" of a situation, and also countersteering works best when the bike is evenly balanced or when there is a slight bit of acceleration that causes more weight to be transfered to the back wheel rather than the front.

If you are worried that your road position is not correct ask some experience riders on where they sit in traffic. E.G. Two lane road, your in the left lane and there is a truck a little in front of you and in the right lane. people on the other side of the road going in the other direction can not see you and may turn in front of you as soon as the truck passes them.

Food for thought.. if you have just finished dealing with one situation be prepeared to act again as emergency manouveres you may do could put you straight into another one.

RIDE ON the video that was made by TAC is a good source of information. (no im not plugging TAC :p i do have one of these vids) explains road positioning and other factors that may be detrimental to your ride.

Hope the post wasnt too long but just a few words....hope they help someone :)
  14. Another thing I've learnt, especially not having much bulk to me, is that on the really windy days, slow down and tuck in.

You don't get the pushed sideways thing happening so badly. Try it out on the Bolte bridge pretty much any day 8)
  15. Well since Winter is over, & hopefully we won't get much more rain (we don't need it down here - everyone else can have it if they want it! :p ) my tip mightn't be needed for a while......

IF you've just had a downpour, and there is water sitting over the road, try to follow close behind a car....
    Don't travel as close as to get all the spray (or too close to allow for an emergency stop), but try to sit in the car's wheel track so that their wheels break the surface on the water.
    It will help prevent your wheels from aquaplaning. :)
  16. My limited experience has told me to scan for garbage on the road more than just between the car in front and your bike. Delaminated truck tyres and lumps of wood are better seen in advance and prepared for rather than just your 3-4 second safety buffer

17. my (lack of?) experience is that i find it impossible to take any corner without counter-steering, although i vaguely remember doing it on a smaller bike

but yeh, it's a pity the learner test didnt focus on it much - i found the licence far more helpful and some of the things definitely made me a safer rider
  18. countersteering is the way to go. dont try to fight it. it will put you in good frame of mind for if you have to use it in an emergency if you do it all the time, and besides you cant really get the bike to move too much without countersteering, a slight direction change maybe but nothing too substantial.
  19. these are good tips. thanks everyone.

i've not started riding yet, but i think one of the hardest things would be positioning. which lane to be on, where on the lane etc etc.. sure it was covered during the course, but that's theory and we never had to ride on a real street to practice.

as for countersteering, my course did not cover that in practise. only a brief theory of it, which i am bloody confused about. what, pushing left to turn right?? :roll:

thanks for the pointers & keep them coming :D