Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

L plate period for fully licenced driver

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Tailus, Feb 9, 2006.

1. I was just wondering what the l-plate period is in the a.c.t. when you get your ls after you already have a full car licence? The stay upright pamphlet recommends that it's 3 months but the lady at the shopfront told me it was 6. anyone know from experience?
    another question too, do you have to display a p-plate on your ps or nothing?

2. as far as i'm aware, it's the same as NSW...

i.e. if you're under 30 years of age you can have your L's for any length of time between 3 and 6 months. once you are on your P's they last for 12 months and you have to display your plate at all times.

if you're over 30 you are again on your L's for any length of time between 3 and 6 months however once you pass your P's you are not restricted to a LAMs approved bike however you must still wear your P's for 12 months.

again, this may not be the case, so anyone feel free to correct me if necessary...

3. I think if your over 30 AND have a gold license you have no minimum L's period, you can do the P's test the day after you get L's.
    Still on LAMS while on L's.
    Once you pass the P's you can go straight to an unrestricted license, however you still cant carry a pillion for 12 months, not sure about the alcohol limit.

Thats for NSW I cant find the ACT site.
  4. Yeah what Jmuzz has said is correct for NSW. My uncle just recently took advantage of this.