Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Kx125 Acting Really Wierdly

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by Oliver Deen, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Hey, I've got a 2000 Kawasaki Kx 125 and the kickstart is getting caught on its way back up, It's not starting from kickstarting it so I have to run start it. As soon as it kicks over it continuously revs it's self but I always turn the motor off as I don't want it to explode.

This just randomly started happening after 12 hours or so of completely fine riding. Do you have any idea what it could be or how much it would cost to fix it?

+Also just replaced throttle cable
    +Clean Carby

Thank you, Oliver

2. My guess would be either the new throttle cable is sticking inside the outer casing (ie needs lubing), or is catching on something (even a sharp bend in the cable could be enough to make it stick open).

Have you checked whether the bit on the carb the cable attaches to is moving fully in both directions when you open and close the throttle (with the engine off)?

3. It engages and disengages perfectly however inside the carby the actual slide that the throttle pulls up to allow air in doesn't fully close but i looked on my mates yz125 and his doesn't either but mine is alot more open. could this be why?

4. Also Ill look for any kinks or sticking in the throttle cable cheers

5. Oh of course it's a dirt bike - was thinking it was a CV carb not a slide.

That being the case it's possible there might be some debris or a slight burr on the slide itself that's causing the throttle to stay open even when you release the grip (this sticking might also be what caused the old throttle cable to wear and break). There should be a slight gap even when it's closed, but if it's more than it should be then that would definitely cause the problems you're having with the revs.

6. Alrighty, thanks. By any chance would you know how this gap can be reduced as it seems to stop where it is? cheers