Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Kwakas to rival the Vstroms perhaps

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by K8, Nov 9, 2006.

1. [img:814:607:a22fd3ae75]http://fluxriders.net/fluxgallery/d/1729-1/07_Kawasaki_Versys_ABS_r.jpg[/img:a22fd3ae75]

Posted at my site is this
    and rumour on the Raptors and Rockets site is there may be a versys1000 just around the corner ... and maybe a z800 ???

2007 is certainly shaping up well

Specs on the versys 650

Model Year 2007
    Engine type Liquid-cooled, 4-stroke Parallel Twin
    Displacement 649 cm³
    Bore x stroke 83 x 60 mm
    Compression ratio 10.6:1
    Valve/Induction system DOHC, 8 valves
    Maximum power 47 kW {64 PS} / 8,000 rpm
    Maximum torque 61 N·m {6.2 kgf·m} / 6,800 rpm
    Fuel supply/Carburettor Fuel injection: ø38 mm x 2 (Keihin)
    Ignition Digital
    Starting Electric
    Transmission 6-speed, return
    Frame type Diamond, high-tensile steel
    Rake/Trail 25°/108 mm
    Suspension, front 41 mm inverted telescopic fork with stepless (right-side) adjustable rebound damping and adjustable preload
    Suspension, rear Offset laydown single-shock with 13-way adjustable rebound damping and 7-way adjustable preload
    Wheel travel, front 150 mm
    Wheel travel, rear 145 mm
    Tyre, front 120/70ZR17M/C (58W)
    Tyre, rear 160/60ZR17M/C (69W)
    Brakes, front Dual semi-floating 300 mm petal discs
    Brakes, rear Single 220 mm petal disc
    Steering angle, left / right 35° / 35°
    Dimensions (L x W x H) 2,125 mm x 840 mm x 1,315 mm
    Wheelbase 1,415 mm
    Seat height 840 mm
    Fuel capacity 19 litres
    Dry weight 181 kg
    Complies to EU emission limit EURO 3

2. Great, now they are all competing on who can make the most pewtrid looking bike.

3. Aw c'mon Vic, someone's got to innovate. I remember when the Katana came out it was radical, but it defined the shape of bikes for the next 20 years......

4. :eek:
    Insect shapes are the way of the future it seems , but if you think thats bad , what about these for some futuristic lanesplitting stick insects

[img:480:360:d33f91ab20]http://fluxriders.net/fluxgallery/d/476-4/ENVimage.jpg[/img:d33f91ab20]

5. If someone's willing to throw one down the road, I'll take the swingarm if it's not scratched, and they're giving it away.

Mercy, that's an ugly bike. And that's coming from someone who's quite fond of Kawasakis.

And what's with that rear shock positioning? Yamaha is on the phone - they want their IT250H back!

If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, whoever thinks that baby is beautiful needs an optometrist. Now.

OB

6. That exhaust aint gonna look pretty for too long off-road :p

7. I love the look of it, but it's a parallel twin. They're a crap sounding asthmatic engine. That's why Kawasaki can't give the er6's away.
    The only people who will buy them is either Kwaka purists (nothing wrong with that)or somebody who hasn't experienced a V-twin.
    (Oh, by the way-I'm very bias, as I own a wee strom and love it)

8. I was told by kawasaki that its the small market here , and in fact they have sold more er6's in europe than all bikes of all makes sold in Australia. Who knows . Personally I think kawasaki is heading down the wrong road really fast.
    Evidently the versys 1000 engine being supposedly developed is heading towards a er1000 development - rumours , you've got to love them.

Personally I dont like the look of the modern kawasakis. Slick as hell to ride for sure but still. Its probably a sign of my age though. I was brought up on the backs of bonnies and commandos. This does seem to be the shape of things to come though and I'm sure the younger generation will love them.

Interesting that Ducati and triumph are if anything turning back the shape clock for road bikes. Personally I think the Vstrom is safe in the adventure bikes stakes , but I bet I'm wrong.

9. :rofl:

:rofl:

:rofl:

Ok, I'm ready to comment on the bike now. :rofl: :LOL: ahem, :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Ok, this time for sure. :LOL:

The pipe and rear shock seem to have come from the ER-6. No surprises there. It looks to me like they're using a de-tuned ER-6 engine to run it. That being the case, I guess the pipe made sence and although it'll get the shit scratched out of it, no-one will see it in that position anyway so guess it doesn't matter.

I can't say the bike appeals to me but at least it looks less shit than a V-strom. :? I guess maybe with only 60 something hp it may even be Lams legal so I guess they've got a market for it. Not my cup of tea but it is nice to see manafacturers having a shot at widening diversity. Especially for Kawasaki who had seemed to be limiting there scope somewhat. :)

I sure do hope they're not suggesting any serious off road work with those tyres though. :shock:

10. I was gunna say, it's competing well if 'ugly' is the aim. :p

11.  Top
  12. Nobody is suggesting any off road work at all. This is a commuter bike, plain and simple. Anyone blaming it for being a poor adventure bike just misses the point. Blaming it for low bhp figures misses the point as well. What I like about Versys is two things mentioned by Kevin Ash in his Telegraph review: the fact Kawasaki worked really hard to refine throttle response at low revs, and the fact the bike is designed to suffer little damage when dropped. I think despite its slightly 'out there' styling, this is a bike designed to be used, not posed on. I admit I really like what I've seen so far.

13. Read the OP - someone's quoting "Kawasaki has released the new Versys adventure sport bike to rival the Suzuki Vstrom"

14. Fair enough - let me re-phrase then: 'Nobody other than the OP suggests any off road work' . In particular, Kawasaki's UK website never mentions any off-road use. I'm referring to the UK site because, so far, the useless Kawasaki Australia site doesn't mention Versys at all.

15. :)
    This line of thinking has developed at the other place where I took that quote. I've seen some wickedly kewl v stroms off road , but they are modded to billio . It can be argued I think that the v strom is no off roader off the showroom floor . Its more your road/tourer/commuter/country littlebitofdirt road sort of bike dont you think ? Pop on some mods and some tyres and the vstrom is off road adventure , but its never going to be a dirt bike. This kwaka reads the same in my mind. Low end torque is good in traffic and on rougher terrain.

Semantics about whether its label is sports/adventure , or sports/tourer may exist just because we are caught in a transition while the 'chooks with their heads cut off manufacturers' try to pin down just what is the market they are aiming at.
    An awful lot of people want to commute , but also want to do a rossi around the local roads on the w/e , and some cruisy little tours into ' the country ' without worrying about taking it ever so slightly off the beaten track.

I've got my doubts whether an all purpose bike can ever be built . They are making some decent attempts though .

16. The OP actually doesn't suggest off road use . The comparrison is with the Vstrom. Also not an 'off road' bike

17. versys
    [img:540:434:b99758e8b6]http://fluxriders.net/fluxgallery/d/1735-2/07_Versys_650_r.jpg[/img:b99758e8b6]
    v-strom
    [img:499:324:b99758e8b6]http://fluxriders.net/fluxgallery/d/1151-1/DL650AK7_Gray_1.jpg[/img:b99758e8b6]

18. OP states "adeventure bike" - a term commonly associated with the V-Strom. Many owners buy Stroms and take them "off road".

So what's your defintion of off road?

19. Amen to that. In fact, the original post did not mention "off road", but used the term "adventure bike". Definitions can be a tricky thing, they change depending on who you ask :) But to me, 'adventure' implies a certain amount of off-road capability, and no - Vstrom is not an adventure bike either, in my view.
    Having said that, I know people take their Vstroms all sorts of places, and good for them! Any bike can be taken off road, of course... whether it makes it back in one piece, that's another question.
    But leaving that aside, let's just agree Versys is basically intended as a road bike, and we can all be happy.

20. Everybody is going to have their own view of what is perfect for them.

I really think that's half the fun - by modding your own bike to be as close to perfect as you'd like :cool: And then modding it some more :p