Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Kwaka W400 or a new BMW G650GS?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Fronk, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Howdy,

I already own a pair of Royal Enfields, both in varying stages of reliability. Nothing makes me smile more.

Right now I'm able to get another bike. Why the hell not. I need something to cover my when I'm working on the Enfields, and something I can 'fire and forget', to an extent.

I've never been able to get used to any sports bikes, or cruisers. I just simply can't get used to either seating position. I do love the older bikes, and many of the 'retro' bikes are great to work on and a blast to ride. I don't care about speed too much, it's the journey that makes me grin.

Out of all the LAMs bikes out there, there isn't really much to suit. A Yamaha SR400 or 500 would be great, but too simillar to my Ennies.

A Kawasaki W400 would be really nice, but I'm not sure if the power and handling would be that different to the Enfields. But the reliability of a Jap bike is a huge plus for when I can't get the Enfields going.

The BMW G650GS is more expensive, but I don't expect one to get to my 'heart'. It'd be pretty neat having something reliable enough for interstate riding though. I'd want to get one new, as a two year warranty on a BMW would be very handy.

I'm still on my restrictions. The W400 would probably hold a good resale value, but the BMW probably wouldn't if I ride it until the warranty is up. There's a good chance I'd sell whichever bike (Not the Enfields!) after a couple of years.

Any thoughts?
  2. The G650GS and the earlier F650GS are one of the most underrated bikes on the market, they will do almost anything (except high speed sports riding which we lose our license for these days anyway) and go almost anywhere whilst costing not much to maintain.

A decent set of all road tyres and you've got an adventure tourer to see the country with.

Why not?
  3. Given how bland, floppy and disappointing the W650 is, I can't see the 400 being any fun at all for anything very much apart from looking shiny outside the cafe.

Mind you, I can't claim to be a huge fan of BMW's Rotax powered range either, but I'd see them as a better bet than the Kwak.
  4. The old F650 resell well I have wanted one, but they go for silly prices with 80000kms, the G650 I am not as sure. I hear that they are lot more soft roader.
  5. The G650G (1st version) and the F650 are almost exactly the same and they are both 'soft roaders' if you prefer that term.

The F650 Dakar is the more off road orientated version but there has never been a G version of that derivative.
  6. Yeah sorry I meant the two Gs models