Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Kwaka GPX 750

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by backmarker, May 26, 2008.

1. I'm just dreaming - still 7 months til I'm off restrictions, but I figure everyone has an opinion, and I'd like to hear them.

A friend has a 1990 ish gpx750 in his shed which hasn't been ridden for 4 years. When I'm off restrictions it'll probably still be there, and the idea of a cheap bike sounds good. It's in decent nick without that many ks.

1) What do people think of the gpx? I know its a sport/tourer more than a sports, and that's fine. There isn't much to find about these on the net, so I'm looking for people's experiences with this bike. Likes, dislikes, reputation, that sort of thing.

2) How disasterous is it for a bike to sit in a shed that long without any tlc (well, it has a sheet over it! :p )? What is likely to have to be fixed/replaced?

Thanks to all who answer and assist my dreaming! :grin:
  2. The GPX750 was certainly high on my list when I was looking for a bike, they were made in an era when bikes were still designed with road use as a priority (not lap times), so although you'll struggle against any modern 600 on the twisties, it'd still be fine for commuting/touring.

As for problems with a bike sitting in a shed that's something I'm very familiar with. If stored poorly there's a very good chance of rust in the fuel tank, this can be fixed but worth checking as this can easily block fuel filters and carb jets and make the engine run poorly (or not at all). Can also get rust in the frame.
    Electrics can suffer from sitting due to moisture corroding connections, and rubber components can perish.
    Basically at the very least you'll want to change the oil, filters, sparkplugs, brake fluid (and possibly brake lines), fuel lines and radiator hoses, fork oil and tyres if you want to get the most out of the bike - and know exactly the age/condition of those consumables. This is on top of the obvious checks for any used bike like condition of the chain, sprockets bearings etc. (which may also need to be replaced).
    If you do the work yourself it'll still be a cheap bike, if you have to use a mechanic for everything you'd probably be better off buying a brand new bike.
  3. as one who rode a GeePeeX750R for more than 8 years, I think I am sorta qualified to comment

nice easy bike to ride, cheap too like 400kms+ outta 20litres
    not too expensive tyres, screw and locknut valve settings,
    basic adjustable suspension, don't chew chains or sprockets
    will carry 2 in comfort around the countryside and then let you tackle a ride day.
    no real vices...just the usual checks for a used bike

really only needs a zorst (Meagacycle or F1) to make it really quick
    (low 11 sec ¼s and 240 at PI :twisted: )

oh ..and finally
    the last GPX750R was the '88 model, some got sold in 89
    definitely none in 1990

4. +1 to everything jd said.

Just bear in mind that it's an 18 year old bike. However, there were no real duds in the first and second generation of watercooled Kawasakis, so as a cheap bike I'd say it was worth a serious look.
  5. If I recall they were a little nasty on camchains
  6. I can't think of too many bikes of the era (and earlier) that weren't. At least, at one stage, one or other of my accquaintances seemed to be changing a camchain pretty much every weekend. It was just one of the things you had to do if you owned an older Jap four.
  7. That family of Kawasaki engines rattle their camchains like mad. Nothing really bad ever comes of it though, and there is a manual tensioner available that gets rid of it. Kawasaki couldn't design a decent cam chain tensioner back then, probably teh same guy that designed the aircooled chain tensiners!
    Anyway, they're bulletproof bikes, as is the drivetrain, they're the smaller brother of teh Ninja 1000, and GTR, same design philosophies.

Pretty much anything Kawasaki made in teh late 80's/early 90's is indestructible. I'd buy one without thinking about it.

Regards, Andrew.
  8. Thanks for everyone's comments - excellent info!

One thing I should have mentioned is that I will basically be learning to ride a bike on this, if I get it. I currently ride a Honda Lead scooter, and I don't underestimate the fact that a sccoter doesn't qualify me as anything but a newbie.

I'm thinking that if I'm off restrictions, why get a little learner which I'll want to sell quickly, when I can learn to ride on something I'll keep a while? I'm no teenager, and have (some) self-control.

The gpx seems to be a heavy bike - stats on the net suggest over 220kg. Is this too much of a challenge for a first bike?
  9. At your age, and on that bike, I think you'll be fine.

Regards, Andrew.
  10. I reckon the best thing about the gpx750 is that you can pretend you're Maverick out of Top Gun (yeah i know he rode a gpz900) :cool:

But seriously, go for it, looks like a fun ride

11. wrong.....
    the GPx750r is 195 kgs
    according to the sales brochures and genuine maintenance books I have

and as one who moved from a GPx to a ZX12R (at 210kgs)
    I can tell you the GPx is a much lighter bike to ride...

the GPx750 is even lighter than the later supposedly sportier ZXR750/ZX7r (which are 205kgs)