Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

KTM Superduke and Ducati Hypermotard City Blat

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by VtrElmarco, Mar 21, 2009.

1. The sales rep handed me the keys to a new KTM Superduke 990 with a worried look in his eyes as I politely asked him which side of the bike do I use to change gears. It’s been six weeks since my last ride and test riding two of the best hooligan bike on the planet is probably the best way to get the riding juices flowing again. Me and Bangr just hoped we wouldn’t bring these two thoroughbreds back in little plastic bags with apologetic looks in our faces.

We are comparing two of the baddest arsed bikes going around at the moment, the KTM Superduke 990 and the Ducati Hypermotard 1100. These are both the base model versions with KTM having and up-specced, harder core version with a capital R (Racy!!) attached to the name while Ducati choose to add a cooler S (Special!!) to their up-market version. But while only the base models, they still come dripping with quality components. Both run radial Brembo brake set-ups, while Ducati opt for Showa forks for the Motard, KTM tread their own path by choosing WP suspension similar to their dirt bike ranges. These are bikes for bearded manly men, who drink beer and like sport and you can take your retuned-for-midrange-torque-nancy-bikes out for a Chai Latte…

Both are equipped with muscular V-twin engines but Ducati and KTM take differing routes to creating these corner carving monsters. The KTM has an in-house developed all bells and whistles 75 degree, 4-valve, water-cooled V-twin called the LC-8 that originally started it’s life the 950 Adventure dirt bike. The Ducati treads the well-worn Desmo track using the wonderful new dual spark 2-valve air cooled 1100 cc L-twin. Both are strong down low and have big mid-ranges, but the KTM motors spins up and down much faster than the Ducati version .The KTM feels like it has a very light flywheel and crank and this may be the cause for its very abrupt on/off fuelling at lower revs. This was frankly a pain in the arse to deal with around town. Small gentle pulls on the throttle would see the orange beast’s front wheel jump towards the sky, while trying to ease off a little would get it standing on it’s nose under compression braking. It needed to be ridden fast to sort it out. Out in a back country road keeping the revs above 5 thousand, there would be nothing better, but KTM really need to work on their fuelling down low and it may also be due to the need to pass Euro 3 emissions so they lean it up around 3-5 thousand revs. There is a throttle cam fix for this they can add when you purchase one but pipes and a power commander may be required for a full fix.

The Ducati on the other hand is buttery smooth down low with a great mid-range. I thought I would be disappointed by the lower horsepower output of the Ducati, but that wasn’t the case. The engine did exactly what you asked of it. It was wonderfully tractable yet strong. The only downfall was at high speed where the top end got a little wheezy and the rev-limiter kicks in a thousand revs too early, but this was more due to me not being used to the slower revving 2-valve motor rather than it being a weakness of any form. Short shifting is the order here, but 10 more horsepower at the top end would be just about perfect. I have been reliably informed there is some power on tap in the Ducati motor providing you spend the cash on some Termi branded unobtanium bling. The Ducati gearbox was also smoother than the KTM version, which feels notchier, but more precise.

Both are also exceptional handling steeds. The KTM feels taught and muscly and really gives great feedback at to what’s happening under your wheels. The wide bars allow you to flick it into corners with ease but they do waggle in your hands when you hit some decent bumps. This is not a bad thing, but did take me a while to get used to. Also the faster you rode it, the better it seemed to handle and I really wanted to try some fast open country sweepers on it where it would really come into it’s own. The feel from the front forks and brakes was second to none, and I was doing 2 finger crappy stoppies within a minute or two.

The Ducati on the other hand is a somewhat different beast. You sit perched atop the fuel tank, and the longer travel suspension cause the bike to pitch fore and aft a little more than I was used to. It took me a while to wrap my head around and it’s not bad, but it’s very different, exciting riding experience. I ended up enjoying it as you can jump off inner city speed humps with a giggle in you helmet. You can also happily run over just about anything and the big Ducati will just wobble right on over it. Front brakes, like the KTM were also second to none, but the rear brake was just about useless.

Now down to the little things. The mirrors on the Hypermotard are some of the dumbest bits of design I have ever seen. When they are folded open, the bike is around 3.5 metres wide. This disadvantage was shown to me when splitting up to the very first set of lights, Bangr clipped the mirrors of two cars simultaneously closing the Hypermotard mirrors hard against the bars. I was in hysterics but the car driver not so. The dash is all but unreadable on the KTM. It was just this spinning orange dial staring back at me urging me to try and improve on my crap wheelies. The Hypermotard also has a tiny fuel tank which only allows around 120-140 kays per tank which is actually good, because you could only take around 100 kays of riding the Hypermotard before you just had sooooo much fun that you would explode into a million hilarious pieces. Bangr could also wheelie the Hypermotard far easier and frankly, that is a major selling point to him, except the seat may need strengthening. Both have a MASSIVE range of after-market goodies available ranging from carbon fibre wheels to titanium key rings and coffee cups. Take that credit card!!

I started out wanting to love the KTM for it’s ugly orangeness, and hate the Ducati cause they are red and are all ridden by latte sipping wankers, but I ended up loving the Hypermotard. It is stupid bags of fun. Completely irrational and that should be the sole reason why we buy motorbikes in the first place. Long term, you would hate it having to fuel up every second service station, but all would be forgotten come the first bumpy, rutted country hairpin…

The KTM is a bike I still lust after and would be the better long term purchase, but I would recommend a test ride to anyone and maybe some work to sort the fuelling. I think I needed a weekend out on some country roads one on one, and my love for it would grow. It’s more of a slow burner that you could really develop a relationship with rather than the exotic one night-stand that makes the Ducati so much fun.

2. Green with envy over here. Thanks for the excellent write-up.

3. There is a third way, y'know... :-w

4. Ahh, that explains the large mobs of angry people with pitchforks and burning torches on their way to your house. Thankfully they were distracted by one of those Cafe2U vans.

I think the SD990R would make an awesome second bike, it's so ugly it just screems feckorf.

5. Good write up.

What's with the Mille?

6.  Top
  7. Yes. I am keen for a spin on the KTM 990SM now, but unfourtunately one of these was not available at the time for a ride. I reckon with the touring panniers and tank bag option, you would have the worlds best real world sports tourer.

8. Nothings wrong with the Mille mate. She is happy with some new BT014's now. I am thinking different bike late next year some time and relegating the Mille to a track day tool.

9. Cool!

Mille as a track day bike! That'd be so much fun.

I need to do the 30k service on the T, thinking of doing as much of it as I can.

10. Try the Monster 1100, too.

11. Yerrapairacahns.

12. I will give you latte sipping wanker you yellow bike riding loony.
    Where were you over Junction Hill the other day.
    Jake was with me.
    Could not see the yellow bike for quite a while. Hehehehehe
    And yes I was one of the pitchfork crowd.
    :LOL:

13. ok....affogato sipping then!

That M1100 looks the part though.

14. i agree - nice write up.
    i have a HM s but I drink skinny cappuccino's , so there is some factual inaccuracy there.
    the main problem with the KTM is its butt ugly.oh, and its not a ducati.
    i love mine.

15. As the owner of an 05 Superduke I Liked your write up and basicly agree with your appraisal, yes it has a light crank shaft and a lightswitch throttle down low, this seems to be an ongoing bug bear on the superduke forum and everyone seems to have their opinions as to weather this is a problem or part of the charm of the Superduke. Yes it can be punted about in traffic but where she truly shines is in the twisties, she has grunt from anywhere above 3000 and goes insane from 7000 till you hit the rev limiter, :twisted: for me it was love from first ride and the affair continues. \:D/

16. The "touchy" throttle response is something you get used to...the snatchiness down low is improved significantly once you fit aftermarket cans(which every twin should have) and have the akrapovic map installed...

I love mine to death, top shelf brakes and suspenders, reliable, looks horn, sounds fantastic and goes like shit of a chromed shovel :grin:

They are not without their minor faults but the throttle is something you get used to...to me it feels normal now... In my opinion the rest of the bike is so fcuking good I can overlook it.

I get on other bikes and it feels like the throttle has been dumbed down!

Servicing is more expensive than jap bikes but less than latte bikes, but it has a healthy appetite for tyres :twisted:

17. Have to concur. SD is a wicked bike.

Throttle is known to be very sensitive especially at slow speeds. But its like most things, the more you ride it the more you get used to it. Took me a couple of days when i got it and now I dont know any better. Getting the KTM remap with pipes tends to help too.

Cheers

JR