Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

KTM Duke 390

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by wankski, Oct 26, 2012.

1. guys,

what do you think about the newly announced duke 390?

hope it makes it here for a fair price.... the duke 200 is a bit spendy for what it is here...

375cc and 45hp and only 150kg...

i was waiting for the new honda cbr500 but it's apparently a porker... and could be $$...

could be good.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Are these lams approved ?
  3. Lams Power to weight may be an issue, only 150kg.
  4. 45hp, 240kg. Someone else do the math. I'd be surprised if it doesn't make it.
  5. = 140kw/tonne. Easily under.
    No real surprise though. That power and weight is pretty much exactly the same as the old 4-cylinder 250s.
  6. Where did you get the 250kg from?

Duke 390 will tip the scales at just 150 kilos making for a staggering power-to-weight ratio of 300PS per tonne making it quite simply one of the best lightweight pocket rockets in the world!
  7. 90kg rider
  8. LAMs formula adds the weight of rider+gear.

Or what Lilley said.
  9. Quite right sorry.
  10. I think it should hurry up and get here.
  11. Could be a tear arse little thing to commute on..........
  12. It'll be interesting to see how the 350cc Triumph Speed Single compares, once of course Triumph actually releases some figures on their new bike.
  13. [​IMG]
    This excites me.

"The 390 Duke will meet all regulations to be included in the Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (LAMS)". Doesn't mention any restriction.

Only con for me will be the probable small tank? I'm guessing it will be small going buy the low weight.. Release date set for March 2013 - I'll still have 2 years of provisionals so I will at least take it for a test ride :D
  14. Correct. Only 11L maximum (and 95 octane minimum), but at least the light weight will make it easy to push :LOL:.

Official specs are here:
    • Like Like x 1

15. LOL

the extra light weight should give it better economy and hopefully a 300 - 350k range.
    Unless you ride it like a cut snake of course. Which is how it is meant to be ridden.
    Looks good and about time they brought back the light weights.
  16. Gearing's going to play an important part with regards to economy. That's a very short-stroke, high-rpm motor they're using so the gearing's going to have to be relatively low to get the most out of it.

It's certainly on my list of bikes to test-ride with a view to buying, though I'd probably hold out for the fully-faired version coming out a bit later. Fuel consumption is definitely an issue though since I struggle to get better than 200kms from 10L with a 250, and if this is no better (or worse) then it pretty much rules it out as an option.

There's also the question of engine vibration, which depending on its price could see it struggle to compete against the P-2 Honda 500s unless there's enough people who (like me) simply don't want to buy a Honda.
  17. #18 Jem, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
    Def going to have a go when they are released and depending on the price could be a good option for my commute which is only about 30k each day so the tank should see me get a week if I can control my right hand which I am tipping might be an issue on one of these.:rofl:

Anyone heard anything on price as yet? Link above by JD has 4,500 pounds so roughly $7,000 Australian. Wonder if it will be near that here................
  18. Could be an exciting commuter
  19. There's no harm in dreaming I suppose. Reckon it will be a ripper of a bike when it's working as it should though.