Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

KTM duke 200, running cr@p!?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by doc_chow, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Hi Guys

I have a KTM duke 200, just done 6000kms, and recently i've been just been tinkering with it....and its been running sluggish

firstly, I replaced the oil from "motorex 10w-60" to "Motul 7100 10w-60", same viscocity oil so i dont think this would affect it

secondly, i installed a slip on exhaust......

thirdly, I took off the top box for the air filter, and sounds better

I heard with at least an exhaust change, and an air filter change, i should get the cpu remapped.....

but would changing the oil on a KTM duke affect the way it runs? and its motul(good oil)

also i didnt change the air filter, but rather remove the air filter top cover.....

its really sluggish, and makes a lot of noise, but just doesnt go quite as hard as it use too

any idea?

2. If your bike doesn't like the oil it might make the gear change a little clunky, but that's about it. As it's the same viscosity it's EXTREMELY unlikely to affect how the bike actually runs, and even if you'd put 20W50 in it wouldn't make a huge difference, just take the edge off.
    Most likely you've leaned it out too much by changing both the exhaust and the intake. Try putting the intake back to stock and see how that goes. One change at a time. The ECU may not have enough allowance built in to cope with that more air flow. Some bikes are more fussy that others. If it is running lean, don't ride it if you can help it, you're risking burning the valves and piston(s). This needs to be sorted sooner rather than later.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Thanks for that guys

I've been riding it exactly a week, and at times i give it the occasional squirt but thats how i know it was sluggish

if i may ask the question, have i inflicted damage that way??

I will take it to KTM and get the ECU remapped i think
  4. Hard to say, but I'd get it remapped or fix the airbox (or exhaust) sooner rather than later. If you can't get it to the workshop for a few weeks, put the airbox back to stock till then.
  5. Mate - if you don't really know what you are doing I suggest to rather NOT remove any air filter covers or change any systems on your bike without finding out first. You're heading for an expensive lesson this way.

Try the http://www.ktmduke390forum.com/ forum for starters.

Put your air filter cover back
    Let the bike idle for 15min untill the fan comes on (without touching the throttle). This will reset some ECU parameters that might compensate for an exhaust change. Might not.
  6. Unless you know that's a good thing to do, you shouldn't do it. Every part on a bike is there fore a reason. Sometimes it's just to comply with stuff like emission or noise laws, but everything has a purpose.

While good airflow is vital, it is more important to have balance... if the air/fuel mixture is too far wrong in either direction, performance will suffer. On top of that, too much fuel can lead to crud building up (not overly dire), and too much air has the aforementioned risk of damage to valves and pistons (rather undesirable, to say the least).

Long story short, increasing performance is not so simple, and more air != moar betta.

A DIY attitude is commendable, but research is key.
  7. #8 malJohann, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    The standard intake and exhaust is designed to deliver a good balance of power and torque, taking off the airbox cover gets rid of the tuned length intake, changing the exhaust gets rid of the CAT most of the time since most aftermarket mids don't run them, both of these will mess with your torque curve in addition to probably leaning out your A/F ratio.

Also, the only thing KTM can do is load the Akra map if there's even one available for the 200, and even then its not tuned for your setup. Really what you need is a piggyback ECU and some time on the dyno, but you'll have to decide if you think that's worth it on your bike. If you're not going to fix the A/F ratio though, you're in for a whole world of hurt when your engine goes bye-bye.
  8. Thanks for your input and feedback.... i took it to the ktm mechanic, and he was able to reprogram the ecu, to allow more fuel.... and just like what you guys suspected, it was running lean, but he has dumped more fuel in the flat areas.....

now its running beautiful, torquey in mid and high range rpm...
    • Like Like x 1