Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

KTM Duke 125

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by XCgeek, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Here is another new model for the learner rider or riders wanting an econorical comuter rider that looks the business.

Makes a lot more sence in EU markets than Australia but on the fourth page they talk about plans for a 250, 300, 400 and 600cc version.

2. i'd buy a 400cc or so version, would be awesome i think, as long as its priced accordingly, which in aus, i doubt.
  3. they already have the 690 duke that nobody buys so this wouldnt sell.

4. 690 is not lams approved so misses out on the entire learner market which is what KTM are now trying to go after
  5. true, but the thing is learner approved bikes are cheap. cheap = shit parts, ktm dont like making shit bikes.

average person looking for a lams bike doesnt have immense money to throw around, and wont appreciate what ktm are offering, it will seem like an overpriced bike that looks weird.
  6. they should all be dirt cheap, because they're just Bajajs with KTM badges stuck on.
    but yeah in Aus, importer will shaft us all;
    probably will be dirt cheap in Europe and the US
    that said, they'd be great little cheap bullet proof runabouts, perfect for the budget commuter,
    just not holding my breath for a fair and honest price here
  7. It's a good move for KTM, bringing their Duke styled bikes into the reach of learners in Europe, but the 125cc engine will probably feel a bit anaemic compared to the other LAMS bikes available here. As a learner myself, I really like the look of the ktm dukes but cant say I'd ride a 125cc considering the hills and speed limits around Sydney.

Wonder how long it'll be before they start making the bigger engined versions....
  8. Bigger engined versions are already in the pipeline and should debut in a few years. A quote from KTM boss Pierer:

The 125 Duke has a claimed 15hp (11kW) and 12Nm of torque, at 10.5k and 8krpm, respectively. My money would still be on the outgoing Aprilia 125, or the upcoming Aprilia RS4 - a 250cc single-cylinder, baby version of the RSV4.

Cheers - boingk