Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

KTM 640SM exhaust options

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by TassieRider, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Hi all,

I have a 2005 ktm 640 SM (twin pipe) with stock pipes that have been debaffled. These sound good but are just too loud for the early morning commute. I'm after quieter exhaust options, tried to find replacement stock pipes but had no luck, and the cheapest aftermarket option I can find is staintune but they're still expensive at $1200!! If this is the only option then so be it, however I want to be CERTAIN that they will be quiet enough for me with the restrictors in. I like riding like an arsehole and the noisy pipes atttract so much attention it makes it difficult.

I like the idea of the restrictors as eventually I will tune and rejet so I would have a good tune with open pipes for twistys in the country side but I could cork it back up for commuting. Getting desperate enough to fork out for the staintunes if I can be sre they're sneaky enough when restricted.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. You could get some stock end caps with the standard pea shooters in them. Or look to a product like the DB Dawg which is very easy in and out and knocks a good deal of noise off.

3. Thanks for the quick reply devo,

Yep stock endcaps were my first thought but I've talked to a few places and they all reckon that they're 8+ weeks delivery from Austria! (not to mention theyre $160 each!) I've contacted the place that makes the dB Dawg so hopefully I'll hear back from them shortly, if I can get one of them to fit I reckon that'll be the go, looks perfect! Quick to remove so I can be lairy when I want!

Thanks for the advice :)

4. Eeeek! 8 weeks. I generally had everything that I asked for within 2 business days from Perth for my Kato.

No worries.