Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Know anything about fixing laptops?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Gromit, Oct 9, 2006.

1. My 3 year-old Sony Vaio laptop has developed a problem with the screen.

I think the backlight has pretty much died - when I boot up the PC everything seems fine, then the screen starts flickering and by the time the desktop appears it is extremely dark. Almost black - too dark to see the cursor. If I connect it to a separate monitor, the image on that monitor is fine. Opening/closing the screen, or flexing/twisting it doesn't do anything.

I did some Googling, and it seems the problem may be with an inverter???

Does anyone know if fixing this sort of thing is quick and cheap, or is it likely to be longwinded and expensive?

If it costs too much to repair, I might pick up a cheapie monitor and use the laptop as a desktop replacement instead.

Any thoughts?
  2. Yup, expensive to the point of not being worth it.
    At 3 yrs old, the repairs is likely to be more than it's total value and a significant proportion of replacement price for a new laptop.

Desktop replacement is you way to go.
  3. You could try grab a new screen from Ebay or somewhere for it if you're lucky. I did that for my Dell, in fact I upgraded it (got a higher res screen) and just plugged it in and away we go - I think it was something like $200 second hand. Bit fiddly to open up and snap back in but all in all about 20 minutes.
  4. Thanks - I'll see if Ebay is my friend.

Otherwise it'll be desktop replacement time. I don't tend to lug it around much anyway, so it's no big deal.
  5. i think 3 years from a laptop is unreal!!!
    you've done well.....

i'm lucky to get 18mths :(