Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

knocking from a new gs500

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by watertrade, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Hi Everyone,

I have had my new gs500 for about a month and will be taking it in for its first 1000km service in a few days. For the last 500km there has been a repetitive metallic knock/clunk that keeps pace with the engine speed. The guys at www.gstwin.com seem to have this diagnosed as either play in the cam due to an incorrect sized shim washer and/or valve adjustment/ bent value... so it could be anything. Its seems like a very common problem in the gs500 for the last few years.
    Some people had the noise fixed no worries on warranty by the dealer, others were told it’s a 'character' of the bike and had problems getting it fixed

I'm just wondering if any Aussies have gone through this with a new bike. I want to be prepared for what the dealer has to say...

2. if your wondering, I did contact the dealer as soon as the noise started and they said I shouldn't worry about it untill the first service...