Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Knocked off,Hurt, but We are alive..Update!!

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Scorpious31, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Went out for a ride to Serpentine/Jarrahdale for the morning 31/12/06, left around 8am was a great relaxing ride and then had coffee at the café by the Dam. Came home approximately 11am and decided to take both the kids for a gentle ride around the coast at about 11.30am

Approximately 11.40am was riding through the intersection of Read and Rae rds doing around 45kph when a white Ute came though the side ramp from Rae to join Read without stopping. I swerved to the right in an attempt to go down the gap between the oncoming car and the car to my right but he took it wide and hit the left side of my bike and possibly my leg.
    We both came off and slid/rolled roughly 40 mtrs.

My leg was in a lot of pain and at first I was unable to move or see Nathan.
    Eventually being able to stand up I found my way over to him but by that time there was many bystanders taking care of the whole situation.

I was told to sit down which I didn’t as was too concerned with Nathans welfare and his injuries. Then a nurse was there and looking after him.
    Someone helped me to pick up my bike and move it from the road.
    I then had a look at my knee to see the damage and something was embedded in it.
    The ambulance came and they took over getting Nathan first then me into separate vehicles and going to the Rockingham Hospital.

The Drs at the hospital struggled and pulled out the piece in my knee only to find it was a 40mm+ long piece of the plastic letters GSXF from my bike and it possibly penetrated my cartilage. After x-rays where taken of my leg they found the ankle was broken, Nathan didn’t need any as the Drs were satisfied he was structurally sound.

Transferred to Fremantle hospital for setting of the ankle and because of the type of injury to my knee it had to be operated on to clean out any bugs, grime or particles behind the knee cap and to check if the piece of plastic had penetrated cartilage which it had not. All of this was done whilst I was under anaesthetic. I spent the rest of my time in the ward room recovering and being looked after extremely well by the staff of Fremantle Hospital.
    I have had to try learning to walk with a Zimmer frame at first and then crutches or I can’t come home.

Came home about 5pm 01/01/07 and now struggling to get around the house ect.
    Muscles in Chest Abs Arms and Shoulders and legs hurt.

Have taken photos of Nathan’s injuries and the damage to my bike and numerous phone calls to insurance and repairers and now waiting for the bike to be taken away to be looked at and ascertained if it can be fixed.

I am told there will be an appointment made for me at the outpatient’s clinic in approximately a week’s time where I will have leg examined and x-rayed again and possible a walking boot cast put on.

From my perspective, the Left hand side of the bike needs to be replaced and hopefully the frame work isn’t twisted but I am not confident due to how it looks at this point in time.

Sorry I dont have any idea how to add the little photos's to the post.

2. Ouch, that's a nasty bingle, and very bad luck. Not your ideal start to the new year. :(

So did the GSXF lettering cut through you leathers or something? Didn't realise how easily they could do that. :?
  3. Bikes are repairable without pain
    you recover well and don't worry about the bike till you are fully healed.
    I hope the tosser that caused all this will be paying.
  4. Sorry to hear about your crash :shock:
    good luck with everything
  5. 'Scorpious31': good to read that you're both ok.

thanks for sharing.
  6. Thanks all,

I have got the details from the police of the other driver and contacted my insurer.The bike has now gone to the shop.

I am waiting for a claim form from them and have contacted work to let them know I dont know when I will be back.

I dont know what else needs to be done yet as I am just finding my way or who needs to be contacted.

For the time being pain killers have to be my friend again
  7. Scorpious, I am so sorry to hear about your accident. Here's hoping that you are both well again soon.
    Best wishes from QLD Netriders.
  8. Ouch... Nasty start to the year. On th bright side you sound like you are coming out O.K. and has already been stated the bike feels no pain and can be put back together or replaced (All at the insurers expence)

Happy healing.
  9. Nah I only had normal levi jeans(wrecked) on but did have a Motodry jacket on (wrecked) work boots(wrecked) new HJC Helmet (wrecked) Gloves (wrecked).

Nathan had Open face helmet (mistake and wrecked) levis Jeans (Survived) hard shoes(wrecked) Hard fabric Jacket (wrecked)no gloves (mistake)

His injuries are his face and hands .

The jackets and jeans are torn and then hospital had to cut them off us.

The piece of lettering pierced the jeans and went in at an angle although I have no idea how.

The police said I did everything right except having an open face and maybe he shouldnt have been a pillion to begin with.They can see what happend from the marks on the road too

I have always said to people at the bare minimum wear a jacket and long pants and shoes thankfully we did it saved a heap of skin
  10. Absolute bummer Scorpious :cry:

I am glad you and your young bloke are relatively okay, it sounds like it could have been a whole lot worse.

Let the insurers take care of the bike and you take care of yourselves.

11. Glad you are both relatively unscathed.
    Kids are lucky, they don't have fully developed cartelidge/bones, so bend and twist around, unlike us adults, who stretch and strain everything.

Regards, Andrew.
  12. I think he is still in shock as he is so quiet (unusually) 11 1/2 as he likes to call it and it was his first time on the big bike.

My daughter has said she dont want to get on a bike she's 9.

Other family members wife included have said no more bike Shaun but I dont think I can do that I even now want to go ride.
  13. jeez, man, so sorry to hear about the damage, mechanical and physical. Mend up quickly and keep on the case with liability and the driver....
  14. Like everyones has said, main thing is you and the young fella are fine, bikes can be replaced, people cant.....I hope they charge the driver...
  15. Now the power's back on I'll have another go.

Shoot, didnt realize it was that bad. A speedy recovery is wished for you and Nathan. Anything I can do to help just call...
  16. Glad to hear you are both relatively Ok, heal well & quickly both of you!
  17. hey shaun, yep, sounds like nathan is a bit shocked. it would have happened so fast and been frightening for him with all the 'drama' of ambulances and police as well - and he's probly worried about u too.

take care of yourselves, and as bm says - the qld netriders are thinking of u......
  18. So sorry to hear about the accident.

I can sympathise with the knee. While not bike related, I've had op's and I know how frustrating it is hobbling around, and learning to walk again. If it makes you feel any better, I had to do it twice!

Nathan will be scared for a while, just let him do what feels right for him. It could be weeks, months, years before he feels comfortable around bikes, and it may not happen at all. Just let him deal with it in his own way. Just knowing and seeing that you're ok, that he's ok, will help.

I can understand the whole fam's apprehension about you riding anymore, and I know that if the same thing happened to friction I'd be saying the same thing, however when it's obviously still very much in your blood, do what's right for you. You could chuck blind logic at them and say "if the same thing happened when I was driving a car would you tell me to not drive anymore?" - however, from a female's point of view, I wouldn't say that for a while yet ;)

Oh...and if friction ever turns around and says the same thing to me if god forbid he has an accident, I hereby have the right to revoke my comments ;)

Take your time, be patient with the recovery. I know it sucks, I know it's hard, but pushing it could very easily cause more damage than good.

Take Care.
  19. Jeez dude glad you and nathan are OK. :shock:
  20. :shock: :shock: Shaun; esp when it involved your lil loved ones.

Thank God you both got out of it alive. Shudder to think of what would have
    happened had you been going faster.

Don't worry too much about the wife. Shes just reacting to whats happened
    to her babies & will get over it. Lets hope so anyways. 8-[

Get well soon mate. :wink: