Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Knee out (not down)

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by NJS, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Finally went for a ride that wasn't just a commute today. Had a ball and took the opportunity to really notice and think my riding. Have noticed on any corner my knee automatically comes out. Am not trying to get it down or even really thinking about it, it's just part of the lean. Is this a bad habit to be in or just leave it as part of my natural riding style?

2. The instructor at my pre learner course shouted at me for doing that...I grip the tank now at all times lol. I think its better for balance.
  3. when u stick your knee out on a slow turn. it can cause your rear to loose friction under spin.. and can cause highside/lowside.
  4. Not doubting, but can anyone explain how that works? And when talking slow, do we mean positive steering speeds or even a bit quicker?
  5. I do it instinctivley when I am going a little faster. It helps to shift the weight on the bike aswell, which means less steering input.
  6. Huh?
  7. if you go really really slow and stop mid corner, you may just topple over :p if that happens both knees will be out
  8. Thats what I was thinking spots.
  9. lol coming from a 250 rider...

what the?
  10. How slow is really really slow :|
    I had been turning with knee in...and close to tank...as well as knee out for 10 years, and am yet to topple over..... :|

turning a motorbike is not only turning the bike's handle bar in a right way at a proper angle, but also shifting the body weight to adjust the centrifugal force and maintain the center of gravity ....
  11. In an advanced riding skills day course (more than just cornering) Motorcycle places like HART teach you to grip the tank and lean the upper body into the turn because the tank gripping keeps you locked onto the bike and gives you a solid point to help keep the weight off the bars... plus it avoids the whole poser attitude stuff.

And frankly, at the typical speeds on the training organisations play surface or the roads, the bike will happily corner with you locked on like that. It's actually a pretty reliable cornering method. Have a look at the precision MC vids on youtube. None of them are getting off the seat - the bike happily leans over as far as it needs to go.

If you are weight shifting however, you need to let the knee drop to keep your hips from twisting and to help you limit "crossing up your body".

Siwanut, mind if I ask you how you came to that conclusion? What's your rationale/basis for believing what you said?
  12. He hung out with Tomcatalex over the weekend? :p :grin:
  13. Siwanut: bollocks! Bollocks, I say!

OP: Dropping the knee a bit isn't much of a help, in fact even once you're hanging right off the bike it's the upper bodyweight not the minor legweight that makes the difference in letting you keep the bike more upright etc.

So if you're looking for the best technique for right now, you're probably better gripping the tank firmly with your legs to allow you to relax your arms more.
  14. So you guys are saying the only benifit of the knee out is looking cool?

Actually I think I read somewhere on here that when you make contact with the ground, you can tell how much lean you have left.
  15. Er, testing one two three... check, testing testing... can anyone hear me??
  16. Dont worrwy lah i was only kidding.

like everyone had said. keep your knee tucked into the side of the tank. and what Loz just said. its the upper body weight that makes the difference not the small portion of your body. to which we are talking about, is the knee.

and the Leaning too far and going too slow will cause a lowside.

* but i posted the videojust to show u the Opposite. lean too far and fast but lost traction.
  17. kidding? i think you just typed that to save ur arse form humilation :p

wait... u already made a foollzzz of urself lol
  18. FFS!...do any of you newer blokes even bother to read the myriad of threads on body position, knee position...etc...etc..????

Do a search for this stuff, and READ IT!...

In a nutshell....and as has already been said...

Use your knees to hang on to your tank when riding in the nuetral position.
    If you are riding at a pace that requires you to weight shift, then your inside knee will need to come out to help keep your body properly aligned.
    (btw...This has nothing to do with "dragging a knee")
  19. Settle down champy. Yes there are lots of topics on knee down, is more difficult to find the answer to my question. Is on here I'm sure, don't read a topic if it upsets your inner forum nazi.
  20. I think the inside knee comes out if you are using the inside peg to take more weight than your outside peg. Keith Code talks about pivot points and discusses this whole issue in depth.

Keith says that sticking a knee out isn't necessary and if you use the outside peg to take the majority of your weight when cornering, you'll find that your inside leg will naturally stay against the tank (this is when you are getting your arse off the seat).

Another natural result of using the outside peg is that the outside arm will tend to come against the tank and your elbow will lock in place. This can help stabilise the bike a bit in an aggressive corner and you can pull it back a bit to assist counterstearing.

There is a discussion on one of the superbike forums where they are examining Nicky Hayden's technique and come to the conclusion that he doesn't always hang off the bike, but will just grip the tank and lean it though the corner.

If you have a good position (ie, sitting back on the seat with your tailbone closer to the rear - on a supersport bike) you'll have a more neutral weight centered over the pegs. This allows you to move from side to side without disturbing the bike too much and also means you can move without putting weight on your wrists, and keep everything nice and relaxed (which is both an aim and result of good form).