Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Knee guards for road use

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Layzie, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Hey guys.. are there any specific knee guards that I can use with my plain jeans for normal on road use/commuting. I tried looking on ebay and can only find off-road/motox ones. I mean i wouldn't mind wearing those for road use.. not sure if anyone else does? They seem to have better protection than the standard kevlar jeans.

2. I tried once but they are too much of a hassle to put on and take off. Imagine doing it everyday when commuting to work. So I have kevlar jeans that have easily removable knee and hip protector. You dont have to pull your pants down to take the knee protector off.
  3. You can get velcro/neoprene strap on ones. guardian_angelguardian_angel wears them over her kevlar jeans. Not sure where she got them, but possibly AMX.
  4. again, knee guards are for impact and won't protect you against abrasion (sliding down and tumbling etc. Even the $60 Aldi jeans will be better than regular jeans. Regular jeans last 0.6 seconds before they burst hitting the road surface.

Otherwise, you can buy impact protectors that attach to your knees with straps, but I am not certain how well a dirt protector stands up on a road surface.
  5. I have these Draggin Jeans / Knox knee guards, which I strap on under kevlars. They're a pest if I'm in a dash, but comfortable enough to just stay on while I'm walking around.

I really can't attest to their crashworthiness, not having crashed in them yet ;) Pretty sure they'd be better than nothing. They seem quite stable as the rubber guards are sewn into a tight stretchy sock that you put your leg through (the velcro straps just stabilise).
  6. [QUOTE="StillSpeedy, post: 2909791, member: 52268"Regular jeans last 0.6 seconds before they burst hitting the road surface.[/QUOTE]

Rubbish. One company with an interest in selling kevlars did one rather unrealistic test in which this happened. OTOH, I've slid my own arse (rather than a concrete block) down the road, at least once at well over 110 km/h, in heavy denim and heavy cotton drill more than once and what has happened in the real world is that the fabric has taken on a polished appearance and worn through in only small spots. Nope, not as good as kevlar but a whole shitload better than those with a vested interest seem to have hammered into the collective consciousness. In comparison, when put to the real world test my rather expensive Draggins burst at the side seam pretty much instantly on hitting the deck because the design was crap.

That said, given that you can now get a pair of kevlars for about the same price (or less, given that my last two pairs cost me a princely $17 each) as a pair of decent straight denim jeans, why wouldn't you? My point is that so much depends on the design and construction of the strides it isn't possible to say "these will automatically protect you better than these" 'cos without a lot of detail and qualifiers it just ain't so.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. depends a lot on the road surface, as to how much abrasion and tearing happen.

I wear these ones.. Knox cross-lite, because of the side impact stuff. (also use them for MT8)
    a little more bulky than flexlite, but fit under kevlar jeans ok, and much better (imp) than the slip in armour... because it stays with your knee, and won't move around with the jeans... and side impact

the knox Flexlite only has front kneecap protection, but would fit under jeans better.. but if you go down sideways, there's no side protection at all
  8. I have the Dainese knee/shin guard you strap around the leg in three places. The top one that goes around above your knee becomes a pain, so I don't do it up.

Regarding using them under regular jeans. Why not? The knee pads are far more useful than abrassive resistants for when losing the front end at lower speeds like most commuting is. Try driving an uncushioned knee into bituman from 2 foot up!

But having said that. I hardly wear them in warm weather, too hot for me. Maybe if I had skins or some other cooling layer underneath it might be better. For higher speeds I use my leather pants with inbuilt knee and shin protection.
  10. Done it several times with my rather more than 50 kg body. On at least one occasion it was for quite a bit more than 30 metres. Good quality denim held up just fine, thanks. As for the advice coming from the MCC of NSW, whilst I respect them in many ways, I suspect that there is an element here of something I had a bit of a rant about in my second to last paragraph here last night.

Bottom line, kevlar or leather will provide more protection in a long slide than plain denim or heavy cotton, but the protection offered by the heavy cotton fabrics is not zero as is often claimed, or anywhere near it. The lived experience of generations of riders prior to the advent of the first kevlars c1990 (leather has always been around but, apart from wannabe racers and serious heavy duty tourers, very few people wore it below the waist full time) suggests that it is significant and, in many cases, is enough. Or, at least, as much as is useful.

Truth is, most road bike crashes do not result in a long, MotoGP style slide. On most roads there just isn't the room. Instead the rider leaves the bike, tumbles a bit and then smacks into a convenient kerb, signpost, fence or vehicle, at which point it matters hardly a toss how abrasion resistant the single layer of fabric you're wearing might be. Then it's down to luck and, to a lesser extent, armour as to how much it's going to hurt. Which is why, IMHO, armour on one's pointy bits is a shitload more useful for most riders than more than a fairly basic level of abrasion protection. Mind you, whether I personally would be prepared to go to the hassle and put up with the appearance (yes, I'll freely admit that not looking like my mum dressed me is more important to me than covering the relatively small possibility that on any given ride I will a) fall off and b) do so in a manner where knee pads would help. YMMV) of wearing add-on gear is a whole other argument.
  11. Given the stakes, you can imagine why people err on the side of caution...
  12. Given the stakes, why ride a motorcycle at all? In terms of self preservation riding bikes has the stupidometer needle pointing firmly at the little Nippondenso logo at the bottom of the dial. See the link in my previous post for an elaboration on my views on gear and the decision to wear it or not.
  13. I bought a pair of those knox draggin ones that Cris mentioned above. Instead of the mesh sleeve mine have a latex sleeve, and the velcro strap to keep them in place. I plan to wear them under my kevlars.