Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

knee downs with a lowside

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by cleanhands, Oct 18, 2009.

1. after work tonight I had the urge to give my knee pads some character, so off I went to an abandoned car park (easy enough to find at 5am). I managed to knee down fairly quickly, left side much easier....

then I went to the right side, and again, and again and then I low-sided. Lost my right mirror and scratched the engine cap badly.couldn't start my bike for a good 10min. I didn't realize the kill switch was on the whole time.

There was some smoke coming out of my exhaust??

I think the reason for my low side was me going too low too slow... I was doing the knee downs in 1st gear. Lesson is: If you try knee downs make sure you have heaps of room and go at a decent speed.
  2. Says it all, really.
  3. I don't know whether you're asking for advice, giving it, or just asking for sympathy, but, yeah
  4. *shakes head*
  5. Dude. I'd be trying knee ups before knee downs if I were you.

This just makes you look like a noob.

Lesson is: Learn the rules first so you know how to break them properly later.
  6. Hey, at least you got some "character" into those knee pads.
  7. I'm sticking with the bosh sander :p
  8. #9 twistngo, Oct 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  9. Just remember: Good riders aren't getting their knee down because they're leaning the bike way way way way over at low speeds, they're getting their knee down because they're hanging off the bike at high speeds.
  10. mate, as you have now found out... once you realise how much angle is required to pull it off it is bloody easy.

Lean as required.

The racers try to straighten out their corners for a reason. They want to be cranked over for the least amount of time possible.

Focus on getting good lines for safety and stability.

If you want to scratch down your sliders go out in the hills, take it to the track or get out the angle grinder.

If you crash while doing things the proper way your coming unstuck becomes a badge of honour, deck yourself while doing circles in a carpark and people will probably just have a chuckle at your expense.

Hope the repairs are nice and cheap ;)
  11. Hahaha...a good laugh at others expense. Did something similar...only on the track while trying to chase someone...phew!
  12. as my mum would say ''' dear .dear. dear. you won't do that again '''
  13. Give the dude a break. F*cking up is the quickest way forward. When old mate is done mucking around in car parks and has thrown the thing across the tarmac a few times he'll know more about tyre adhesion than everyone who has done a nice gentle 30,000km's.
  14. Fair call :rofl:

All's fair when learning how to push it. I'll admit, I still want to buy a beat up old bike that i can turn into a stunter so i can do just as silly things in carparks :rofl: It's just a bit expensive doing so on your regular road bike.
  15. +100000.

Practice is practice. A lot of people shite their pants the first time their knee hits the ground going around a corner. At least this guy was developing a skill that will be used later on.
  16. +1

still good for a laugh though :LOL:
  17. congrats on getting out there and trying it....if you don't try you will never succeed.......sure for most of us it's just plan posing but it's still great fun isn't it :dance: and to those that can't :cheeky:
  18. wow dude that was totally awesome!!
    can't wait for your next stunt.
    perhaps try jumping over something?
    i believe in you!..you can do it!! (y)
  19. Surely having the bike in 1st gear will increase the throttle response (as in the acceleration/engine braking) significantly?

I remember when I did my MOST we had to do a swerve, I found that if I did it in 1st gear and released the throttle quickly while I swerved the bike wanted to catapult me off much harder than if I did it in 2nd at lower revs at the SAME SPEED.

Just a thought as obviously you are going to have to be really smooth with your inputs with that tiny contact patch being stretched to the limit. Surely that would be extremely difficult in 1st gear? Could rolling on or off the throttle abruptly at such a low speed in 1st gear 'break' the contact patch and cause a loss of traction hence a lowside? In my experience it effectively acts as a brake - which is a big mistake mid corner.

Just to illustrate: when braking we set up and progressively squeeze so as to not risk losing the front; trying to smooth all inputs.