Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Knee down ... more info please

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by drewzor, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Well, I'm hitting the putty run real soon and while I have confidence in the twisted roads locally I thought I would look into this knee down cornering but can find anywhere that tells you why this benefit cornering performance?

When I take a turn at speed I shift my butt to the inside of the turn but tuck the inside knee IN and lean my body over and forward...

So I started looking at knee downs after seeing a pic submitted in the july photo contest of this cbr with the guy hanging off onto the bike with one leg (prattically) with his knee just off touching the ground!

Ok then my question is not how to but why..
    I would like to know technically what benefit it has?

2. Lowers centre of gravity, gives you indication of lean angle by skimming it, untwists body (without putting the knee down, just shifting your weight and having your inside knee against the tank, you're body is twisted), gives you something to use to keep the bike up if the rear starts to slide, etc.

Its fun too.. so I'm told :cry:

3. Hmmm, I think if I was riding a CBR125 the last thing I would want to do is go knee down.

You dont need to get knee down to go fast, you can still ride at a good pace without having to try draggin a knee. Worry about your head and body positioning first, "knee down action" will come when the time is right.

4. Thanks, I can see that now.. I do lead with the inside shoulder (meaning I'm twisted)

I'm hitting the putty run on the 16th if you want to take on the CBR125R phizdog .... lol

5. Quite correct. :wink: :)

You can use your inside knee as a feeler...but it is motive driven...if you do it to just to look cool, then you're a tosser.

If you get into the correct position on the bike during high speed cornering, then your knee will just naturally be out there. Not reaching, just in a natural position. Then you tip the bike in and bring the road up to meet your knee. Whether it drags or not is unimportant. (Note - longer legged riders will end up dragging knees quite easily - more so that shorter legged riders.)

It's also a good way to crash...if you keep pushing your bike just to drag a knee, since you can exceed your bikes capabilities (tyres etc)...and obviously on bumpy knarly surfaces it's not a good idea.

John.

6. Ideally, getting the knee down is the byproduct of good cornering technique... and for a lot of folk, they never get their knee down and aren't slouches either.

Getting the knee out though, is important for the reasons described above.

7. #7 drewzor, Aug 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    Well, I'm not asking about it to be a show pony??
    I have a more challenging run coming up and want to know more about it
    The way I corner (leading with the shoulder) has felt nice and stable but
    I sometimes feel "lost" as to how far the bike is over..
    These bikes have low set pegs and I dont want this to happen
    [media=youtube]mH3fyrOArS4[/media]

Just because its a 125 doesn't mean I can't pull 80-90km through a corner? so if it is a safer or more stable form of cornering I must consider it..

So to summeries, the knee out if a product of good posture on cornering
    the knee down is a indercator of lean in.

8. Just remember though, getting the knee down on a public road does increase the risk somewhat.

Whilst it can be a useful cornering tool if your posture is correct etc, it does also mean that you risk pushing the limits of your suspension and tyre set up etc.

There's also a lot of unpredictable factors when doing it on the road too, such as irregularities in the road surface, puddles of oil and traffic etc. That's why it's usually safer to do it on the racetrack - everyone is heading in the same direction (usually!) and the surface is familiar etc.

Having said all that, it's a lot of fun when you do get the knee out, regardless of the location, and it's a skill worth acquiring so that you can add it to your arsenal when and if you need it.

Cheers,

Weasel
    :biker:
    "Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul...."

9. Yep, that's pretty much it, in a nutshell. Whether you knee drags or not is less important.

John.

10. PARDON? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

11. Well, long legged buggers like you can drag knee at the drop of a hat, but you don't do it to pose off (although you might be doing it for fun) :LOL: :LOL: :p :LOL:

12. But if you are on the edge and dont have it down.. thats worse :) I was scraping my peg (with significant body off bike action) at OP T2 yesterday and I know if I had my knee out in a natural position it would be knee downing on alot of the corners. But my knees are shy and can't feel confident putting it out yet. Yet on sweepers that I know well I have no problem getting it out at all.. Weird.

13. If your interested in increasing your cornering skills then read TOTW2. Even thou its written for the track most of it can be applied to road riding as well.

Some excellent techniques in there for improving your riding ability.

14. Totally agree, well said Rob

REV

15. #15 robsalvv, Aug 4, 2008
  16. A couple of threads from the California Superbike Forums:

A thread in which the OP presents a wide range of hanging-off and knee dragging styles, as well as minimal hang-off and zero hang-off when cornering. The ensuing discussion should answer a few questions raised on this thread (though it does get a little pedantic after they cover the primary questions):
    http://forums.superbikeschool.com/index.php?showtopic=928

This is a mix of reasons not to knee drag on the street:
    http://forums.superbikeschool.com/index.php?showtopic=1022

17. Thanks for the links, it was a good read.
    Like I said, I was looking to push a little harder on the bike then I have before.. and currently my BP leaves me little to no idea of the bikes lean.

Chances are I will not do it but wanted to consider it if it was a better way of taking corners.

After all this I think i will buy a pair of leathers with sliding pads..
    Not to knee down corners but to ensure I dont lose a knee while leaning and practicing my posture

18. I was just reading this thread about braking and corner entrance speeds and think that it's erronous to look at BP and bike lean in isolation from your corner entrance speed and mental attitude.

Keith discusses his no-braking drill and the results it brings in a rider's mental approach to cornering speed (and therefore BP and lean angle). I think the main thing I took from this read was that incorrect entry speed will always distort your BP - whether grossly or subtly:
    http://forums.superbikeschool.com/index.php?showtopic=310

There is just something simple about the way Keith articulates all this stuff (and those who follow his approach). He just knows how to communicate things in a way that brings direct insight to the reader.

19. #19 rs101, Aug 5, 2008
  20. I guess im a tosser then. i just knee down cause it feels farking awesome to do plus its funny when you chop bigger bikes through the corners draging knee on a 250 lol