Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Knee Armour - pads/guards vs braces

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Sooty, Oct 11, 2009.

1. I'm shopping around for something to protect my knees. I like the idea of knee braces but would they be overkill for road use (considering that nothing is really overkill when protection is concerned)? I'm talking about the braces with integrated 'Patella Cup' - like a PODMX.

Or should I be looking at a good quality set of knee protectors such as Astars' Bionic MX Knee Protector?

Having said that, I intend on getting dirty later on so maybe braces are the better option. I guess this boils down to 'if you can afford em, get em'.

2. Cheers, I'll have a poke about.
  3. Have some Fox ones similar to the Bionic's you posted. Only wear them on long multi day trips with MX body armour.

The first one you posted are for hardcore MXer's, to stop knes twisting, and probably bit of overkill. Guessing you'll be able to wear the Bionic styled ones without too much inconvenience and offer great shock protection
  4. Axo TMKP worked for me.
  5. It's difficult to go past a crash tested recommendation on the Axo's although the Icon's look good too. I'll have to find some in a shop to play with.

I intend to do MX work later on but at a guess it won't be full on. So the above protectors should suffice.

Thanks guys.
  6. Tried a pair of these on for size on Friday and there was no way they were going to fit over or in my boots, so bought myself a pair of Draggin knee guards that are in a sleeve and slip over the knee . Like most things, takes a little while to get used to, but I know I'll be using them unlike the ones that velcro to the inside of my draggins.
  7. The icons are a lot bigger than I had imagined them to be. Currently looking at Thor Static Knee guards - they seem adequate enough for road use.
  8. Had the same problem, so I purchased a pair of icon accelerant low cut boots.

9. I have the Thor Static's. Very comfortable and they don't move around at all. Tried the A* bionics but they didn't seem like they'd stay in place very well even under jeans and with my Sidi's over the bottom.

Also keep in mind the A* bionic's are not CE whereas Thor Static are. It's odd but very very few knee armour manufacturers seem to mention CE compared to back protection. E.g. A*'s bionic back protector marketing states CE yet they don't bother with the knee stuff. Odd, but ultimately I can only assume it means they've not bothered to have them certified.
  10. Are you sure that the Thor Static are CE approved? I can't find any mention of that on the Thor website or on websites that sell those knee guards.
  11. Odd. The A* Bionic SX doesn't quote CE cert anywhere in their A* product catalogue, nor on the material which comes with it (tags, brochures etc). Yet I'm finding some websites which claim it as CE 1621-1.

The Thor static's have CE markings on both the guards themselves as well as the little booklet thing which comes with it.

I suppose it's not seen as an important marketing point like it is with back protectors.