Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

KM'S on a bike?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by BRK, Dec 11, 2007.

1. How many km's is too many km's on a motorbike?
    Considering 4 strokes, shouldnt they run basically forever?
    Say im looking at a 10 year old bike with 70,000 plus kms on it, is this too many? or will the engine be ok after this long.

2. Condition, service history and character of the owner(s) should tell you more about a bike than km's. Especially if the bike is a japanese import.
  3. If it's had all it's services, and the clutch, gearbox, chain & sprockets aren't worn or have been replaced when appropriate - sure, not much more risk than buying any second hand bike.

Still, for your cash you should aim for the best condition, newest model, and lowest k's you can find.
  4. So many variables on this one. Obviously the most important is how well the bike's been looked after - there'd be more than a few bikes with 70k on the clock that'd be in better condition than some with just 20k. Also depends on the engine used - ie is it a high-performance/high-compression/high-revving engine never designed for high kays or a lazier, lower-compression engine designed more for touring.
  5. im looking into either a kawasaki zx6r or suzuki gsxr 600.
  6. Short answer. Motorcycle engines are much more compact and higher reving than their 4 wheeled counterparts, hence do suffer a shorter lifespan.
    What constitutes too many kilometers? Depends on the engineering design, use, service history and qaulity of lubricants.

However, some models are known not to last as long as others with respect to engine life.

For most 250's, anything over 50,000k's is getting on. Larger bikes about 70k. But it varies by +100% or even -50% depending on what was mentioned earlier.

Remember engine wear and frame / suspension wear are inter-linked. So it's not just the engine you need to give a once over.
  7. In that case you'd want to be getting it cheap. If it's been worked hard then quite possible you might start getting some costly problems as it approaches the 100k mark. You don't see many 600s with more than 100,000 - although that may be due to people crashing them before they reach that point and/or the fact they're not exactly the most ergonomic bike for long distances.
  8. +1

On a 10yo bike often you can spend only a few $$ more and get one with 1/2 the km. Just make sure eith has been serviced correctly. I would want a 10yo bike with 70km on it to be pretty cheap. Consider how many you will put on it, will you able to sell it when the time comes if it has 100,000km+ on it?

If it has no or little verifiable servie history, walk away, because 70km is a long time to abuse something, and even 10yo bikes if it's an inline 4 will be exe to rebilud.
  9. Bollocks. Looked after any 250 engine would last longer than 50,000km, and any large bike engine would definitely last longer than 70,000km. I'd say that's what you'd expect if you changed the oil once or twice in that 50,000km - not every 5,000 clicks like most responsible owners do.

Bikes don't last as long as car engines, that's true - but there are plenty of stories of high mileage bikes. The reason there aren't a LOT of high-mileage bikes is more to do with people crashing them than anything else! KSRC has a few members with 100,000km+ ZX9Rs with little or no engine work. I know of a VFR that's done over 300,000km - same engine, and there's a report of one in the UK that clocked 1 million km. And there are MANY old BMWs that have done well over the 100,000km mark.

I'd say inspect the bike, see what you think. An old, badly maintained engine will sound like an old, badly maintained engine. Otherwise, it's a good bargaining chip because most people are overly preoccupied with mileage on bikes. :p
  10. thanks all for the responses,
    will just have to assess everything when i check it out,
    not real worried about re-sale just dont want to throw away my hard earned!

11. My VTR 250's done 73000 kms... hell of alot of kms for a small engine, and they're not very easy kms either... She still goes well, I just keep it maintained regularly! I'd say she's in pretty good condition, especially given the Kms travelled.
  12. In my opinion 70k is to many for a supersports engine with unknown history. If its cheap enough for you to factor in a rebuild of engine, suspension & gearbox/clutch then do the deal.
    Its not only the engine that does the distance.

Could be cheaper to walk away mate.
  13. Well my 02 zx9 has 99500 ks on it without any engine work and it goes and sounds fine :wink: As previously stated depends on maintanance :wink:
  14. I know a guy in the UK who has a Honda Hornet 600 with over 110,000 MILES on the clock & it still goes perfect

mind you, he's done all those himself & always services it every 6000kms
  15. I'll keep an eye out for you when your kicking your tyres on the side of the road and determining why that 100,000 km engine won't turn over. :-k and the last rites performed by your mechanic the following week.
  16. Everything's rebuildable.

Just a case of having the time or the cash to do it.
  17. Congratulations, but if you saw the same bike up for sale would you be tempted without knowing the history unless it was super cheap?

Didnt think so........ :wink:
  18. The point some are missing is that as anything mechanical wears its probability and severity of a breakdown increases. This dramatically when its warranty period expires. :mad:

Here is a graph for you to digest

It shows the relationship bewteen probability (chance of something happening) vs. severity of the event given that it occurs.

Bikes over say 70,000 +100% and -50% will probably be in the high zone.

This means that something may not happen. But if it does then the likleyhood its going to root you and the bank account is also high.
  19. cousin of mine who lives in u.s has a hornet 900 and he has done 150,000km and she still running sweet...ahh honda reliability
  20. tash has a point; my 600 Hornet had 54,900 on the clock when I bought it, and it now has 109,000, and with regular servicing, the engine/gearbox etc is still in perfect nick. You're more likely to run into sacked suspension and other peripherals at high mileage than engine/gearbox woes (assuming the bike hasn't been raced, that is, of course).