Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

KM Readings, could they be botched???

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by cadillac, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Hi, have a query on the reliability of km readings when purchasing a used bike(u guys tempting me towards a VTR;)..would I know if someone disconnected the km reading meter cable and then refixed it before selling the bike? Would it be techically/legally feasible for them to do that here in Australia even though thats unethical? How easy is that on a VTR and what are the tell tale signs I have to look for?...The reason I ask is because some very old bikes on the market seem to be having surprisingly low km readings, offcourse most could be genuine but then wonder if all are..any experts tips on this one?

2. Some advice I have been given when looking at second hand bikes, is to check for the presence of an outer lip on the front brake discs. As the disc thickness decreases over time, the lip will feel larger, (as this is the bit that the brake pads don't actually touch). You could get 'general idea' of how worn you would expect the disc to be by comparing it with other similar bikes on which the odometer shows genuinely high mileage.

I am no expert, but my bike with about 8000K's on the clock shows very little wear, whereas looking at a mates bike that has done 30000K's, there is a very obvious difference between wear on the front discs.

Hope this helps.

3. Cadillac,

If you just disconnect the speedo drive cable from the fron wheel, it doesn't register disance. Some people so this.

Also bike speedo of only a few years ago were of the old mechanical type design. The result is they are easy to wind back.

Then again you could be looking at grey imports. They tend to do very few ks in Japan.

Or just ozy bike that have only been riden a few times a year. Some people buy them as just occasional toys.

but it's good that you ar skeptical

4. here's one that I've heard:

have a look at the head gasket and valve cover seals on the outside of the engine. on certain bikes, the factory seals will appear very clean, so no sealant will be visible on the outside of the engine. so if the seals are visible and messy looking, the engine would have been rebuilt.