Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

KLX 250. Left indicator doesn't work.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Conny!, Dec 21, 2005.

1. I don't know if this has been posted before. I don't have time for a search as i'm at work.

I have a 95 KLX 250. The front left indicator remains solid and the back one does not light at all. Right indicator works fine. I have just replaced the tail light, it was different model number but same wattage and it fitted and worked. So i don't think there is a problem there.

I don't know that much about bike electrics. Any help would be appreciated. I have replaced the globes to no avail. The flicker is working as the right works fine. I'm getting a mulitmeter to check if there is anything getting to rear light. But i'm guessing its and earthing problem. I was just riding on the black stuff when it stopped working, so i'm a tad confused.

Cheers.

2. Easily fixed.

Look on the handlebars - you'll see a switch. Get ready - you'll need it in a moment.

As you approach the left hand turn, move to the centre of the road. Turn on the right indicator. Go around the block. Done carefully, you'll end up where you planned to go and the faulty indicator won't be a problem.

Now for a better answer. The flasher can is current dependent - it needs enough current in it to heat a bi-metal strip that opens and closes a contact. If the back globe has blown, the front one won't flash because the strip never heats enough.

Take a globe out of the right side and put it into the socket on the rear left. Try the indicator again. Now the left side will be fine, but the right will have the same symptom you described above.

3. Thanks.

I understand how the thing works.

I have replaced the non functioning light. But i think i may just replace all indicator globes to see if they are effecting the load on the flicker.

If its not that then i'm in the poo.

4. Dammit. Not globe. I went and rotated all my globes through them. Discovered i have 3 different types of globes, out of 4.

So now i think i have an earth on the positive somewhere that is simulating a blown globe on the left rear indicator. Ie an open circuit.

But i don't have my tools up here in the NT, and my Dads ones are crap. And i don't know where to look properly. Man i'm annoyed. Mechanics are all busy. Getting a mechanical bike minded friend to check it out, but don't know when yet.

Whats peoples thoughts on a hand signal for now?