Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

KLR650 Clutch Safety Switch

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Highett, Dec 28, 2015.

1. I purchased a new 2015 KLR650 mid September, getting close to 5000ks on it now, So far so good.

Just lately the clutch safety switch started to playing funny buggers, started out intermittent then stopped working.

Anyway, I don't stall very often but this time I did, Pulled the clutch in without thinking and hit the starter, nothing.
    Damn, Right foot down, onto neutral restart and missed my window and had to sit through a stream of traffic that seemed like it would never end, stinking hot day as well.

Today I had a look at the safety switch.

Got the hand guard off and had a look, there was no gap between the end of the pin and the clutch lever when it was pulled all the way in, I though easy fix I will just file it back a little as the switch mount did not allow any adjustment.

Tested it with the hand guard off, all good.

Put the hand guard back on, don't work.

Hmmmmm have another look, there is clearance with the pin with the clutch pulled in, tested working.

Put the guard back on, don't work.

Bloody plastic guard was pressing on the back of the switch, just enough to bind the contact and prevent it from closing fully.

Solution, put a washer between the hand guard and mount to give a little more clearance, Fixed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Personally I'd have bypassed it altogether once it started playing up but then I'm an old fart.
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Yeah I thought of that too, but since it was not the switch causing the problem I did not see the point is bypassing it.
  4. I bypassed mine troubleshooting what turned out to be a once off sidestand issue. This is when I realized how pointless the clutch interlock is. I haven't reconnected it.
    • Agree Agree x 1