Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

KLIM Overland Jacket

Discussion in 'Jackets' started by 3-Willy, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Review KLIM Overlander Jacket
    We’ve all been there with poor fitting jackets. Puff shoulders, loose chest and waist and sleeves made for apple pickers. Add to that the claimed “innovation” with complicated zip out layers.
    After trying two mainstream brands of textile jacket, I started searching for a lighter-weight and better fitting shell jacket. Similar principals to good bushwalking gear, but designed for bikers. The result was a purchase of a KLIM Overland jacket.
    I was keen on this brand as it is designed by a Canadian based company. A good test ground, as North America has its share of cold, wet weather. Also, this jacket is manufactured in Vietnam, a renowned country for producing good quality textile products. The jacket has a blend of codura fabric, supported by Goretex panels in the main body area.
    My riding is on an Adventure motorcycle and consists of about - 70 percent road 30 percent off road - around Canberra. I purchased this Klim model as a 3-season jacket.
    My first test for the jacket was a 1300 kilometre ride through the NSW and VIC Alpine region. (Ok the big hills south of Canberra). The three day ride had it all – a high of 30 and low of 15 degrees, moderate wind and 5 hours of relatively solid rain.
    I was impressed with the jacket. It was immediately comfortable and performed well in most respects. That said, I see some opportunities for KLIM to make this jacket a better product.
    Some observations ------
    Size – KLIM’s size chart (www.Klim.com) is easy to use and accurate when I eventually tried a jacket on. It uses the American size system which, in my case, saw me go down a size. Usually a large, but medium in KLIM.
    Weight – A feature of the jacket is its light weight, as compared to other 3 season multi layered jackets. That said, you do require some quality base layers for winter use. I plan to use a MacPac down vest for winter.
    Adjustments– Improvements are warranted for the body adjustment mechanisms. For example, the waist draw cord uses a 2-3mm bungee cord and small spring clamps. More suited for an urban spray jacket. The only other adjustment is a 25mm wide velcro strap on each forearm section.
    Pockets – Two side pockets are easy to access and reasonable size. A chest pocket on the left side is handy for a phone or wallet.
    The internal mesh pocket lacks any structural support and has an undersized zipper, which is difficult to use as the mesh moves when opening/closing the zip. More pockets would be useful, especially a lower back panel pocket for larger items.
    Internal lining – The internal lining is a soft fine mesh and lacks a robust handle. Care is required when taking the jacket off or storing as the lining is susceptible to snagging.
    Zippers – YKK zippers are used, which are considered one of the best for performance. Each zipper has a small pull tag, which is useful. Gloves off to secure the main front zipper. Overall each zipper could be increased in size to make the jacket more robust and make it easier to operate.
    KLIM’s marketing of the Overlander jacket as a serious adventure jacket might be a little creative “KLIM®’s all-new Overland Jacket is the perfect evolution of dual-sport riding gear”.Serious adventure/off roaders might be happier with the features on Klim’s other models – Latitude or Badlands.
    Although I’ve identified some short comings in this $600+ jacket, the KLIM Overlander has met my brief for a versatile 3-season jacket. It’s lightweight, well ventilated and was comfortable from my first ride.
    Good ventilation
    Comfortable fit
    Excellent wind and rain protection
    Quality stitching
    Minimal pockets
    Poor waist adjustment mechanism
    Limited retail distribution in Australia (i.e try before you buy and compare models)

• Informative Informative x 1