Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

KLE 500 Front Fork Air Pressure

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Benlore, May 9, 2010.

1. Hi,

Just looked at the suspension specs in the KLE 500 manual and it states that the standard air pressure in the front forks is 0 kPa. A mate gave me the pressure measuring gadget and told me to look up the recommended pressure in the manual but that hasn't helped. What is the max air pressure one can have in one's forks given the manual states 0 as the standard?

Any advice guys?
  2. i had a quick look around and people have said the 10 psi range is all. someone said the max pressure was 36, i imagine thats at cold temp with no load on the forks.... not sure, info on the net is always sketchy. **i struggle to believe that theres supposed to be air in the forks, surely people have moved on since the 1960-70 mx bike suspension technology**

but the question is, why would you want air in your forks anyway? you're going to lose some sensitivity over the little stuff and it is too unreliable with temperature changes.

whats the problem you're having with the forks?

**edit** i would steer clear of putting any air in your forks, i bet those valves are there to let the excess air out when the forks heat up and the air expands, so making the air pressure in the forks equal that of the atmosphere that the bike is in.
  3. Hey JimmyD,

Thanks for your reply. I don't have any problems with my forks. Someone said that it would feel better if I put some air in them. They are designed to put air in and I don't know the pros and cons of doing this, even if the system is old tech. Looks like you have mentioned a few cons, and I would like to know what the pros are if any??
  4. In all forks the air cavity goes towards the spring rate and the rising rate nature of the front forks.

Air assist forks were common there for a while but went away. I'm guessing because with a bit of wear they never worked properly.

The preset for them is always in the single figure PSI range. People used to blow the seal out by putting the servo compressor on them.

So get the right pressure in your tyres, put fresh oil in the forks and then have a play 2psi at a time.