Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Kinda stumped on which bike to go for GPX250/ZXR250/Across?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by dru, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Hey all,

I'm on my L's and I'm looking for my first bike, and I've shortlisted these bikes which are in my budget ($2.5k)

1. Kwaka GPX250
    2. Kwaka ZXR250 (ZX-2R '88 A model)
    3. Suzuki Across GSX250F

Firstly, I've test rode all three and my thoughts are:

1. GPX250 - Good upright riding position, but legs felt a little bit more "squished" which made it a little bit more difficult to change gears.
    2. ZXR250 - By far the quickest and brought a big smile to my face, handles really nicely (heck I was surprised I could do a nice U-Turn on a roundabout on the test ride) but also a more "sportier" riding position.
    3. Across - Good upright riding position, legs more relaxed than the GPX250, the "boot". But, it felt heavier and slower than the others.

I like the looks of the above bikes so, aesthetics aside, my decision would be based on these points that I'm finding a little hard to search for on the forum:

A) Cost of maintenance
    8) Whether maintenance is easy to do yourself
    C) Mileage (l/100k's)
    D) Overall comfort for longer distances (eg. 1-1.5hrs riding) or would you even ride long distances on it?

If anybody has owned one and would care to share their experiences with the above points, or any other points that I haven't thought of, that would help me heaps with my decision!

Thanks!

2. The gpx is a twin so it will be the cheapest to maintain.

Why not choose which ever bike makes YOU feel the best. Whichever one suits YOUR need.

Heck some people actually CHOOSE to buy and ride a Hyosung so whats stopping you from choo choo choosing the one YOU like best.

3. I have a ZZR-250, which is like a GPX with more plastic - tbh I have no idea why it's not on your list.

A) Nothing special so far as I know, services are supposed to be every 6000kms, minor service is 200-300 and major is about 500 I think? I do it myself :), which brings me to this:

8) The GPX was called the Ninja 250 in America, which means you get this, which is awesome, and useful as hell. You can get the service manual pretty easily, but where the service manuals will have a picture and a few words, the Ninja 250 wiki will have 1000 words with 50 pictures and 4 different methods.

C) Should be 4-5L/km. Just don't do what I did and somehow find one that averages 5.5L/100km, then have to fix thing after thing until you fix the fuel economy (though it does help you learn :p).

D) This might be slightly different on a GPX, but 1-1.5 hours isn't too much of a problem - they're sports tourers so the seating position is upright. If you bend down a lot you might get an achy back after a whole day of riding.

I would say that you should maybe consider the ease of riding (twins vs 4 cylinder and so on), but seeing how you've managed to ride all of them (impressive) I guess you already have an idea of what you want.

There's the whole fairings vs naked argument too, but from your list I guess you've made up your mind on that.

Also, that budget is going to make things difficult - when I was trying to buy my bike, I wouldn't have thought a ZXR for that price was possible - petrol was more expensive then though.

4. I have a GPX250 and so far its the only bike I've ever owned so take that in mind.

I think it's a great bike. The thing just keeps on going. I think out of your list the GPX would be the chapest to maintain and would last alot longer.

There's also the very strong point that they cost nothing compared to the other bikes. If you can find one with a few scratches you could have it for probably under 2000. Also dont be scared of by the kms it may have as these engines are known for going to 80000kms no problems and will go even further but then i guess it depends on how it was looked after.

Its got a big tank too which is great i think. I can get 400km to a tank easily. Could get more if i let it go to the reserve but dont see the point.

Seat as i have found does get a little unconfortable on the long hauls. But only after about 1.5hrs. Nothing a short break cant fixx.

And the problem your having with it feeling cramped in your legs. I have the same problem and on the long rides my knees get sore and im constantly having to stretch them out once I've been riding for more than 2hrs. All this could be me just needing to get used to the position though as I;ve only ever done a few long trips (more than 2hrs).

And i know you commented on the power. But i feel like you it lacks a little. But hey its a 250. I find it fun though still. In the corners its pretty stable just a little soft. But you'll be thankfull when you hit a pothole mid corner.

5. I'd go the ZXR. It has higher limits then the other 250's you have mentioned and should keep you interested right through your restrictions period.

The ZXR will cost more to maintain and use a little more fuel. You should also be aware that the ZXR is probably older then the other bikes you have looked at so it will most likely need more $$$ spent on it.

6. Envy-t - Yep totally understand that, but in the end I'm looking at a particular budget so there are pros and cons for all the bikes that I've shortlisted. I just wanted to get a better perspective from an owner's point of view that's all.

Schwer - I did consider the ZZR250 as well, but I haven't found one in my budget yet that's all. I realise that it's pretty similar to the GPX250. However, that site is AWESOME! It really is like a bible for Ninja 250 owners. The ZXR was in pretty good nick, and I managed to knock the price down to my budget, so that's why it's up on my list.

LOKi and blaringmike - thanks for the input. It'll help me weigh it all up in the end.

Keep them coming peeps and thanks for the input so far, it's been really helpful.

7. Big of a catalogue of learner legal bikes in my sig, freshriders.

8. GPX will be the cheapest to maintain. It'll probably be a decade newer than the ZXR, so you'll replace fewer parts, seals and electrics. It also has a larger fuel tank. Probably the sensible option.

ZXR will be a lot faster. 40-45hp. Sporty design and seating etc. Parts availability might be a bit of an issue. As it'll be older, more parts will have to be replaced. Also i'm not sure how well maintained a $2.5k ZXR250 will be. Servicing costs will be a little more expensive.

So it depends on what you want.

9. Re: Kinda stumped on which bike to go for GPX250/ZXR250/Acro

A) Going to be highest for the ZXR (parts availability can be an issue), followed closely by the Across. The GPX will be slightly cheaper simply because it's got less cylinders (and less power).
    8) All Japanese bikes are pretty similar, only tricky part is getting access to what you need to get to. Once the fairings and tank are off they all look the same.
    C) GPX will have a slight advantage here simply because it's a less powerful engine.
    D) The Across is probably the winner here - it was designed as a sports-tourer. The race-crouch of the ZXR would make it the least comfortable for long distances, though really 1.5 hours is nothing for any bike. You need to ride for a full day before discomfort really became an issue.

10. GPX, then Across, then ZXR.

Having said that, any of them are a good deal for 2.5 grand. Buy the one that's been looked after the best mechanically. Don't worry about bumps and scratches, worry about whether the oil's been changed regularly, bearings, forks and shock are in good order.

The main trouble with the ZXR tends to be corrosion, which makes bolts very stiff and can get in and root the electrics. It's a product of the way they're imported. Look closely for signs of corrosion on the bolts. The ninja is a higher performance bike than the others but not as easy to learn on, and yes they can be very uncomfortable on tour-length rides.

GPX is a winner all round, and a well kept across is a top bike too, the boot is something you'll use every day, and it's hard to give up. Just ask Flipper, who was crying over my missus' handbag last night.

11. Can't agree more with Loz. The suzuki across was what I really wanted for my first bike, but I ended up coming across an opportunity to get a good GPX and so that's what I now own. I found that the GPX was the cheaper of the three followed by the GSX so if you're looking at three that are all 2.5k I'd expect the GPX would be in the best condition followed by the GSX. All the acrosses I saw for the around the same price as GPXs had more Ks and were older.

I decided to steer clear of the inline4 jap bikes for a few reasons, mainly that I thought they were unnecessarily expensive and also it's much harder to find one in good nick. If you're going to upgrade eventually I don't see why anyone needs that extra 5hp (or whatever it is) while they're on restrictions. Also a GPX or GSX in good nick will pull harder than a thrashed ZXR.

My GPX gets 4.5l/100kms when I ride it without trying to conserve fuel. It's fairly comfy I guess, but I have nothing to compare it to :( And for the freeway, I start to notice the vibration of my bike at 8k rpm and in 6th 8k rpm is about 110 i think so up to 80/90kmph it's fine.

I <3 my GPX, but at the end of the day I'd be going for the one in good condition with the best price tag. (Actually that's generally the GPX)

End rant.

12. Plus the ZXR is 21 years old and you can get a much newer Across and a much, much newer GPX/ZZR. Plus the Across had 45 horse or thereabouts new too, and is likely to have kept more of it than the ZXR, so it's not likely to give up that much to it in speed/power.

13. Hey all,

Thanks again for all the input. Much appreciated!

Just an update, I ended up talking down the price of the ZXR even further, and, compared to the GPX and Across' I've seen so far, this is in pretty mint condition even for its age.

I'm getting a mate of mine who owned his ZXR for about 4 years to come with me and go over the bike today. If all goes well, I'll be a new ZXR owner soon!

I'll let you know what we find.

Which bolts etc. in particular should I be checking on these bikes to check for rust? I mean, if it's a fairing bolt, should I really be worried about it?

Thanks again!

14. All of them.
    Bikes in Japan suffer horribly from corrosion due to pollution, high annual rainfall and the fact they're almost always left outside (exposure to salt air during their sea journey probably doesn't help either).
    The fuel tank and bodywork is resprayed to hide this fact, but little if anything is done about the important bits. It's really only noticeable once you start undoing bolts - and start snapping the heads of them or stripping the thread when you try and put them back in. Obviously most people are going to be reluctant to let you take the bike apart before buying it - but look very closely at those areas that are hard to pretty up for any obvious signs of corrosion, especially around bolt heads.
    Also be suspicious of any bolts that look brand new- it usually means they've already had to replace one that's corroded out.

15. Never understood WHY they stopped making the Across... it was a winning combination... except for the range.

For mine... it's GPX FTW! - especially since they were still being made new up until 2years ago and are very very well supported.... oh and coz I had one. hehehe

16. Demand for 250s in Japan died off when they changed their licence system, and demand for for fully-faired bikes died in favour of more practical nakeds and maxi-scooters. Effectively the Across was replaced by the 400cc Inazuma which is still on sale today (yet stupidly not available in Oz) and the 400cc Burgman scooter.

17. Well, out of your list there, I'll jump on the GPX bandwagon.

Never really looked at them till my g/f got one, but easy to maintain, esp with the center stand, and easy to work on, we recently found out a way to stop the front end from diving so much when stopping (by putting 50% more fork oil in than recommended in the manual, that and the oil is 15w).

And I'll admit it didn't pickup as fast as my CBR250RR, but it was still zippy and light to move around on once it got going.

Its also the easiest to fit a ventura rack onto IF you're into carrying anything.

And yeah, as mentioned, fuel range is a bonus.

18. Thanks for the heads up jd. I'll be checking some of those hard to reach bolts.

Is there anything else I may have to check specific to the ZX2R other than bolt corrosion?

19. Not specific to the ZX2R but with any grey import it's also a very good idea to check the condition of all the rubber components. The rubber joints between the carbs and inlet manifold are usually a good indicator since they're not easy to replace and are likely to be original. If they're hard and brittle then there's a good chance other rubber components (like suspension seals) will also be rooted unless they've been replaced. Don't forget to also check the condition of fuel and radiator hoses, and especially the brake lines.

20. ok, cheers! I'll definitely update this thread to let you all know how it went.