Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Kilometre reading on a second hand bike

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by halfa, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Hi All,

I've been looking around at second hand road bikes and was wondering if there is a general guide as to what would be regarded as a lot of kilometres on the speedo.

Yep, I'm new to the bike scene and I know that this obviously depends on the type of bike and even then, you never know how the bike was ridden.

So, for example, 25,000Km on a 2007 Yamaha TDM900....is that what would be considered reasonable Km's?

2. this has been asked a zillion times champ

look at the bottom of this page

3. ...but to answer your question, 25000km on a brand name, modern bike like a 2007 Yamaha isn't too much at all. These things are designed to go for a lot longer than that - just make sure you don't think you are getting a bargain only to land before an expensive major service deadline.

4. Service / schmervice, bikes are easy enough to work on nowadays that all maintenance can be performed by anyone savvy enough to know how to access the internet.

The only expensive, and truly time consuming, service component is valve adjustment, and the reality is that most bikes should make 100,000km before valve adjustment is needed.