Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Kill switch or ignition?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Minority153, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Hey guys,

I know this topic has been discussed before, but as a pre newbie with a new bike, suzuki inazuma, I was wondering which method of turning off the bike is best for it? Ignition off or kill switch then ignition off?

I read my manual, it didn't say anything about the best method for turning off the bike.

I know a lot of people have argued in favour of laziness, but I generally would like to reach a consensus about what's healthier for the bike, and if possible why.

So please, just comments about what is actually best for the bike.
    Thanks in advance.
  2. Don't think I've ever used my kill switch....
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. I never use it, always use the ignition switch.
    All the cool kids drop their side stands down as they are pulling up to the stop.
    <<not one of the cool kids.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Makes no difference, they both stop the bike by interrupting the ignition (or possibly turning off the fuel pump on injected bikes).
    One consideration is that the kill switch doesn't turn off your lights, which may result in a flat battery.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I was told in the learner session that over time if you use a kill switch all the time it can cause wear to the switch and there exists the very slight possibility it might not work when you need it in an emergency.

Also whenever I do use the kill switch I forget I did and can't for the life of me work out why the bike won't start.

Kill switches can be a bit of fun if you have a carburettor though.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. #6 Minority153, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
    But if you're going to be turning your bike off anyway, then it doesn't matter?

Carburettor? I've heard of it, but no idea what it is. And whys it fun?
  7. #7 Womble, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
    You still need to take the key out which you shouldn't be able to do if it's set to IGN ON so why make a one step process (turning the ignition off) a two step process.
    It just adds wear and unecessary complication

Big bangs from the pipes
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Using the kill switch makes things much easier on a slope. But for the flat I usually just use the key.

Sure the kill switch might wear out, but given my old 89' Honda still has a working kill switch, it's not a concern. Plus I always flick the kill switch as to make it that little bit harder for theft anyway.
  9. I use ignition 90% of the time but it's good to check the kill switch actually functions from time to time in case something like this happens:
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. I use ignition switch as my bike has an immobiliser & steering lock.

Knowing me i'd try start the bike and think i had a flat battery due to the kill switch still being on.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Riding schools sometimes promote the use of the kill switch so you get used to the idea of where it is in case you have to kill the engine quickly without thinking about it.
    If you are a bit forgetful or not into routines then use the ignition key, at least that way you know everything is off.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. How does the bike on a slope make a difference?????
  13. Documented evidence in the KTM Duke manual. The switch is called an "EMERGENCY OFF SWITCH".

The manual then very clearly states that this should ONLY be used in an emergency since there is still electricity flow to your lights etc.that could lead to a drained battery. The ignition off switch should be used. Emergency switch only to be used in emergency situation if one sees a warning light on your display.
  14. I do what the bike manual says, which in this case (CB250) is ignition switch.
  15. Yeah I'm with you on this one, but I assume he means having to take one hand off the front brake.
  16. Makes no difference.

However, I use different methods in different scenarios.

1. Kick stand. My favourite.

Any time I park the bike on a ride, I want it to stay in the gear.
    So when I found my parking spot and reversed there, I just drop the stand. Then release the clutch and brake to let the bike find it's natural position. Then get off and do my thing.

2. Ignition. Only using when the bike needs to be parked in neutral.
    That could be in the garage when I'll be lifting it up on the rear/front stand.
    Often on the track in the pits.

3. Kill switch.
    When I need to hear a mate shouting something through his helmet or when I need to tell something.
    It's just a quick way of stopping the engine.

May also use it to roll to somebody's house quietly and not upset the neighbours :)
  17. #17 Bjpitt, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015

Applies only to people who like to leave the keys with the bike then...
  18. I hear it's common for random people to hit kill switches on parked bikes because they think it's funny. So if you're bike doesn't start coming back to it from leaving it in a public place, check that first. Haven't had the pleasure yet.

Good tip. I'll remember this.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Best fun when riding with mates is hitting their killswitch just as the lights turn green
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Or as you pass them at anywhere north of 180....in a corner spokiesvspokiesv