Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Kill switch or Ignition switch?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Ljiljan, Dec 5, 2010.

1. I've been reading that the kill switch is only supposed to be used in emergency cases. Is this so? I have been typically using the kill switch to turn the bike off, but think I will now switch to using the ignition.

What do other people use?
  2. Good question! I have been using both, so I'll be interested to see what other people are doing.
  3. Depending on my mood and how lazy I feel, either the kill switch or put the side-stand down! lol
  4. I don't know whether there's a cause and effect going on here, but I initially used the kill switch to stop the engine, and found that on several occasions the bike would backfire next time I started it ... however when I started using the ignition switch to stop the engine, the bike was much better behaved - no backfires.

Backfire is supposed to be caused by unburnt fuel vapours detonating in your exhaust manifold so I wonder whether switching off with the kill switch was causing this?

I am no mechanical expert by any means so all of my thinking on this subject could be flawed :) ... but from now on I am using only the ignition switch to switch off.

5. i always use the kill switch.

never had backfires, or mechanical problems with any bikes doing this.
  6. This was debated ad nauseam sme time ago.

Both are ok.
  7. I used the kill switch when I need to stop in gear on a badly angled road when I am more cofortable holding the front brake over the rear.
  8. I flip my bike upside down so its resting on the bars and seat.
    It stops shortly after.
  9. I always use the ignition switch, a habit I developed on my first few bikes, none of which had kill switches.

The only exception is that I occasionally give the kill switch a prod, just to wipe any corrosion off the contacts. Dunno if it does any good here, but in the UK's bike dissolving climate any switch left unused would grow a coat of shit on its contacts in fairly short order. Obviously this only works for switches where there is sliding contact.
  10. I've been pondering the same question for just over a month now. Had a BMW rider tell me that the dealer had advised him to only use the kill switch in an emergency and use the key for day-to-day. Up until then I'd always used the kill switch but now I'm using the key.

Either way....the bike stops :D
  11. Why do you think it is Red ? It is for use in an emergency when you cannot reach the ignition keyswitch. Like when you are about to slide down the tarmac after an off.
  12. Because in the context of the road, red things usually mean stop/stopping/stopped.

Honestly, I'd have other things on my mind right at that moment. More to do with staying on the bike than turning it off, but each to their own.
  13. for what it's worth, when I did the RiderSafe course in SA to get my Learner's Permit they told us to use the kill switch to stop the engine, then turn the key to off.

I use the kill switch on my GPX and never had any issues with it.
  14. Can't see that it matters either way. However I always use ignition. That way I can't leave lights etc on.
  15. The main problem I read about using kill switches a lot is that they go buggy and create a dodgy connection. I don't know if that is caused by regular use or just the passing of time. But it's much rarer to hear of an ignition switch going funny.
  16. Good day Lilley.... Read in the bikes mags that you should use the ignition key as continual use can cause problems with kill switch malfunctioning.
  17. I use my side stand.
  18. Always used ignition. Rumour has it using the kill switch on FI Triumphs can cause electrical oddities. Not sure I believe it, but that's the rumour.

I suppose it's possible that the kill switch cuts power, but the ignition gives a controlled shut down on some FI bikes.
  19. I always use the kill switch and take out the keys when my gloves are off, im always cautious about snapping the keys in half with the clumsy gloves on. If im really rushing than I just use the stand.
  20. I can confirm it. Current models do not have this issue but the original injection system on T5 series bikes was occasionally disabled by using the kill. Happened to me once.
    Wouldn't worry about it on anything newer.