Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Kieran Walshe retires. New Deputy commissioners announced.

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by robsalvv, Feb 15, 2012.

1. http://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/mor...police-makes-senior-command-appointments.html

Victoria Police makes senior command appointments
    Wednesday, 15 February 2012 10:31

Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Ken Lay has announced the appointments of three new Deputy Commissioners – Lucinda Nolan, Tim Cartwright and Graham Ashton – who will all begin in their new roles from today.

Ms Nolan has been Acting Deputy Commissioner for Strategy and Organisational Development since June 2011. In her permanent role, she will continue with this portfolio, overseeing the recruitment and deployment of 1700 extra police and 940 Protective Services Officers and strategic policy, practice and service delivery to the community.

Mr Cartwright has been Acting Deputy Commissioner for Crime and Operations Support since July 2011. He will take over the Regional and Road Policing portfolio from outgoing Deputy Commissioner Kieran Walshe, as well as the overall management of the Operations Support, State Emergencies and Security and Operations Co-ordination Departments. Mr Cartwright will also lead reviews of Victoria Police’s governance and structure and operational performance and lead on major violence against women and children initiatives.

Mr Ashton, who has been heading up the Crime Department as Assistant Commissioner since April 2011 will be Deputy Commissioner for Crime and Operations Support. He will have oversight and management of Crime, Forensic Services, Intelligence and Covert Support, Ethical Standards, Media and Corporate Communications and Legal Services.

Mr Lay said : “I am delighted to announce these appointments following a rigorous selection process. Tim Cartwright and Lucinda Nolan have both been acting Deputies for the past few months and doing a fantastic job. Graham Ashton has been the Assistant Commissioner at Crime for the past year and certainly impressed me and those around him with his leadership, decision-making and analytical capabilities.

“I made it clear when I was appointed Chief Commissioner that I wanted a strong, loyal leadership team around me. Victoria Police is committed to tackling a number of key issues, including cracking down on organised crime, reducing domestic violence and the road toll.

“I see these appointments as an investment in the future of Victoria Police.”

Ms Nolan said: “I am honoured to have been selected for this role, having spent my whole career with Victoria Police. I am very excited about joining the new leadership team and contributing to priorities such as the recruitment and deployment of the additional 1700 police recruits and 940 PSOs. In my portfolio of Strategy and Organisational Development, I aim to continue to refocus our systems, processes and service so that all areas of the organisation support our frontline police in protecting the community.”

Mr Cartwright said: “It’s a real privilege to be part of this executive team. Our people do a fantastic job day in and day out, looking after the community that we serve, and to be able to lead them is something special. Of course one of the big challenges for me will be filling Kieran Walshe’s shoes.”

Mr Ashton said: "It is an honour to be chosen to work for Chief Commissioner Ken Lay and with the newly appointed Deputy Commissioners. Victoria Police is a fantastic organisation and I am looking forward to the challenges ahead."

Victoria Police Media Unit
    VP18073

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

What's the goss? Where's Kieran Walshe going? Anyone have any vibes on Tim Cartwright??

:-k

Edit: Original context of this OP was that I thought Kieran was pushed./ousted, hence the questions.

2. Re: Kieran Walshe ousted?? New Deputy commissioners announced.

He's resigned.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/top-traffic-cop-to-leave-force-after-44-years-20120214-1t49a.html

3. Oh did you see that they closed ranks??? Nothing like a bit of strong leadership to herd the cats eh?

4. What do we know about Cartwright?

Six month ago, Cartwright was considered one of the front runners for the Chief Police Commissioner's job.

Executive Member of National Motor Vehicle Theft Reduction Council; Involvement in organisation of Emergency Services Games; was given the job of explaining to the public the VP shooting of a 15yo boy in 2008 (strongly defended officers).

He pops up in a lot of press conferences. Not a lot to go on.

5. I bet he retired because he couldnt get on with Ken Lay,and now that he has picked his own deputies we are all going to cop a lot more shit as ken lay is a bullshit spin king

6. Well maybe he retired because he is 60 years old, been a copper for 44 years and wants to spend more time with his family. There doesn't always have to be some mystery or conspiracy behind everything.

7. Just saw a preview clip of the upcoming news annoucing the 3 appointments. I found it interesting that the video footage showed them walking out towards the camera, with bikes lined either side of them.

Al.