Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Kids jackets

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by Bluegum, Oct 19, 2015.

1. My 12 yr old daughter is keen to go for a ride on the back of my bike but I won't take her without a jacket.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations with buying jackets for kids -( I'm in Sydney)? It seems to me that it is going to need to be very well ventilated as my body will block a lot of the wind and summer is upon us and I don't want her overheating.

2. I too would like to know this with a young fella about to come of riding age.

3. We were really lucky and got quite a bit of gear from my sister when her kids grew out of their gear. We also managed to pick up a Walden Miller leather jacket in a small kids size from Cash Converters for $25.00.

If it were me these days, I'd be checking out Ebay, Gumtree and second hand shops and paying as little as possible - kids grow and buying new will get expensive very quickly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. There seems to be very little on the second hand market which is odd considering how fast they grow out of it!

5. At a pinch we used heavy denim jackets etc. But yes it can be hard, kids road gear is almost as rare as rocking horse poo. Dirt gear??? Lots of dirt gear.

6. I had very little luck finding used gear, so I spent about $400 on ATGATT for my 11y.o daughter 2 months ago. I'll be lucky if she gets 2 years out of it, but she's far too valuable not to protect.

I'll definitely be offering the gear up for sale, when the time comes.

7. same issue, I wont take her without gear.

8. Thanks for the Cash Converters suggestion. I had forgotten about them.
    My local store had a surprisingly good selection and I picked up a nice summer weight mesh jacket for $45.

• Like Like x 1
  9. it's always for the daughters isn't it? lol! I'll pop in to our cashies

10. MCAS in Sydney have a large discount section upstairs at their Auburn store.

Helmets start at $50, jackets at $99, and most interestingly kevlar/aramid jeans at $50.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I would think a 12 years old would fit XS, S in rider's gear (men's or women's). There are some children specific gear but those are aimed at kids under 10 I think.. Yes, definitely take her to a store and fit her up properly, I'd say. It is a pain that they grow, but they equally need protection and if any stores have gear selling $50 new, hands down that would be your best option. And do not forget the gloves either :)