Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Kids as pillions

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by andyfin, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Hey everyone, new around here and getting back into the roadbiking after quite a few years hiatus (albeit with some semi regular 'theft' of the old mans t955).

Just wondering what others thoughts are on the age of kids as pillions. I took my 8yo daughter for a short ride last weekend and while she certainly enjoyed it I'm worried about taking her for greater distances.

I'm also interested to know if anyone has fitted a leather jacket and perhaps some draggins etc to younger kids and how that went.

2. Dooooo eeeet mofo, don't be a pussy.

8 years is now the 'legal' age you can take a pill. My started aged five and loved it. Stupid laws.

Lots of practice until they gain their confidence and learn to hang on and lean no matter what. And by that I mean until you get your confidence, because trust me they'll get theirs before you get yours.

3. I totally agree with Cheffie. Do it. My son loves being on the back of the bike. He hangs off further than I do around corners.

We got our kids gear from starider.

I just make sure we keep up the communication and they are awake and alert the whole time.

4. I started riding pillion when i was like, 10?

I was cool with it. Kids just trust adults, so it's probably easier than an adult pillion in a lot of cases. You can also bribe kids with candy, or con them into it by issuing an empty threat.

In fact, from now on I will only take kids as pillions.

5. Have two 12 year olds and a 10 year old and it's usually a fight on who comes....

They love it and as stated keep regular communications whilst riding and they learn quick too...
    Quicker than some older pillions..

6. Just started with my 13yo. She loves it. I love it. Feels just like it did when I started to ride. Nervous, tight arms and shoulders, gripping too tightly - And that's ME not my daughter! :D

Fun Ha!

7. Both my boys love(d) pillioning with me or their mother. The eldest (nearly 22) now rides his own bike.

I was lucky with my boys there was no stupid law stopping me taking them for ride when I thought they were ready.

Best thing to do is start with short trips around the block and slowly but surely, as you both get more confidence, build up to riding all day.

There are a couple of things you need to keep in mind on longer trips.

Younger kids get bored easily and a bored child moves around a lot - frequent stops and an MP3/Ipod helps to keep them from being too bored.

Younger kids may not have total control over their bladder - come up with a 'signal' that allows your kid to let you know it's time to have a wee NOW. Trust me, obey that signal, it will save you both some embarresment.

They WILL fall asleep. Don't worry about it, just ride a bit more conservatively. If you are worried you can get 'tethers' that won't let them fall. Or you can just wrap an occy strap around you both. My youngest (now nearly 16) falls asleep all the time on the back, it's never been an issue for me.

Oh, and don't let your kids goad you in to going faster than you're comfortable with. My boy tries it all the time saying things like "You're a pussy dad, go faster", "Don't let mum beat you", "Why were you going so slow, is there something wrong with the bike or did you pull a heartlidge".

8. Yeah the kids falling asleep... I used to follow my ex who had the kid (8yo girl) on her bike as pillion and the first time I saw the head wobbling I got quite a shock but she regularly fell asleep and it never caused a problem. I don't really understand how they stay on but they do. I suppose the top box helps as a backrest.

9. Maybe there needs to be a question of where too.

Chef : Laws are there for a reason; to try to deal with the complete stupidity of some people.

Btw : I couldn't care less if any adult wishes to wipe themselves out, no child should need to suffer from an adult's stupidity.

10. I started taking the grand daughers for little 'rides' in 1st gear on private property when they were 2. They sat in front of me where I could keep an eye and a grip on them. The older two (twins) are about to turn 5, with the baby just turned 4. The baby protests to have her go, but she's tense and nervous so I keep it short and slow and safe. One of the twins has decided she doesn't like it, and that's fine - I don't take her. The other twin has decided she adores it. We have a (dirt) helmet and goggles for her, a kids off road upper body armour, heavy nylon dirt pants, boots, gloves...

It isn't legal and that's my one big concern about it. She's fine - she loves it, and she's a far better pillion than most. Needless to say I'm pretty careful and conservative with my precious baby girl on the back. Perhaps that's why she goes to sleep.

Rustgold : you have a point, and this has given me some concern. Let me put this to you - how many parents would refuse to let their kids play football because they might get hurt? How many parents won't let their kids on a horse because it's dangerous? But I put it to you that horses and football are both more dangerous than motorcycles. Water is dangerous - kids drown. So you don't let them near a pool? There is a risk, and it's something I'm very conscious of, believe me.

11. Would you let your child play if the players are more interested in knocking each other's head off then kicking the ball? Many parents see it as toughening the kids up.
    Would you go next to a horse that your child is on and slap it so that it gallops through uneven terrain? Many parents see that as getting the kid to quickly learn.
    Would you go through city freeways at 90kmh and zigzag through it all with the kid on the back? Many parents see nothing wrong with that.

We need laws to protect kids simply because many parents are complete morons. It's good that you appear to have a brain, but some kids aren't as lucky as yours.

12. Thanks for the responses, good to know plenty of others are pillioning at a young age. I pick up the bike on sat and then just need to look for a jacket and pants etc for her.

13. I can still remember the look of excitement on my grandsons face when I gave him his first pillion up and down the street, and how happy he was when he told his dad. That was 2 yrs ago, he turns 8 in September and is already talking about going on his first real ride.

Rustgold .. yes there are parents out there with little or no common sense when it comes to parenting skills, adding new laws won't change them or how they treat their kids.

14. Umm, have you been to a junior football (league, union, AFL or soccer) game lately. There are some kids out there who enjoy nothing more than playing the man not the ball. The rules of the game, if properly policed, take care of these kids. The behaviour of some parents on the side line is nothing short appalling, again though most junior sports have a code of conduct for players and spectators that, if policed properly, ensure parents are dealt with accordingly.

So you're saying the there should be a restriction on the age a kid can start riding a horse?

As for the law requiring a child to be 8 before they can pillion is plain stupid. The law should only require that the child can reach the footpegs with the instep of their foot. Parents who think nothing of going through city freeways at 90kmh and zigzag through it all with the kid on the back probably have other parenting issues as well.

Why should I, and my children, be penalised for the stupidity of a small minority?

15. +1

I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to give kids guns, hookers, alcohol or hooch but people still do.

But then I'm pretty sure most of the population figured that for themselves without the need to make it a law. You just can't legislate against stupid.

16. mumble mumble....fukking double post....mumble mutter

17. I take mine out for rides. They absolutely love it. Of course now they don't want their dirt bikes, they want pitties. Bloody teenagers.
    Tell you what though. My senses are pretty heightened when I do take them and I ride very consciously. Never around 9am or 5pm. Never split. I ride like a Dudley do right.
    I know what I'm like and if some tosser pulled out or merged on me with the kid on the back I would be doing time strait after.

18. Having worked at a racetrack for a few years now, and been to watch as a spectator since I was young, thoroughbred horses are way scarier than motorcycles.

19. Fixed it for you.

I have an agreement with horses. I don't get on their back and in return they don't throw me off.

20. My son has been pillioning for about 18 months now , he's almost 10.

We bought a " kidney" belt with handles on it that Bruce wears around his waist and he hangs on to it .. he feels more secure that way ..

The look on his face says it all :D

Attached Files: