Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Kickstand Kutout Kills - Kool?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Bravus, Apr 30, 2008.

1. (sorry)

Most times I stop the bike by turning off the key, but sometimes forget and put the sidestand down first with it in gear (clutch in) and kill it that way, then turn off the switch. Is that bad for it?

2. 90% of the time I kill the bike with the killswitch, I don't see how that would be any better or worse than using the key of kill switch.

3. Don't see why it would. Dunno about other bikes, but the sidestand switch on my BM seems to dasable the same circuit as the handlebar kill switch and as far as I know, using the H/B kill switch is a perfectly legitimate means of stopping your engine :) .

Personally I pretty much always use the centrestand ('cos I don't trust sidestands much) and I don't touch the kill switch ('cos with my sieve like memory it would just get embarrassing) but they're just habits of mine rather than because they're better practice than what others may do.

4. Countdown to "kill switch f*cks your ECU, you should only stop with the key" argument in 5....4.....3....

5. I believe we went down this path once before (and I went home with my tail between my legs IIRC), but the general consensus was that all but a couple of early fuel-injected models will never have a problem with it, and even those models only have rare issues, and can be sorted relatively easily.

6. Heh, 1999 carbureted Bandit - pretty sure I don't even *have* one of them fandangle ECU jobbies... ;)

7. You have no probs Bravus. I do it at random times as a check that my switch is still working. All kool mate.

:grin: at Loz... that was my thinking too... :)

8. Just to preempt such an argument, can it seriously be suggested that any manufacturer would deliberately fit a device that could so easily screw the ECU?

I've seen some stuff that makes you wonder if the manufacturer is trying to boost their spares sales, but even I'd be pushed to believe that they'd invite destruction of the black box quite so blatantly.

9. I dunno whats good or bad for an ECU, but I dont like using the kill switch for the main reason i forget to enable it again...
    This stemmed from the 250 carbie where it would flood and not start afterwards, at least with the 600 its smart enough not to try and kick over while the switch is enabled.

I've only killed the bike with the kickstart by accident a few times.

10. Me too!

Booga Booga Booga... You'll need to upgrade your F4i to the electric start version as soon as you can... :LOL:

11. its fine man..ive done it heaps,no probs..and i always use the kill switch.
    6 years so far on my k2.

12. I use the key every time because it kills the headlight as well.
    Other methods dont.

13. I always use the kill-switch, then key.
    Just habit I guess :wink:

14. That's why I use to only ever use the sidestand.
    Having the light on reminded me to take the key out of the ignition.

Going to take me a while to get used to a bike with a separate on/off switch for the headlight, plus the fact the sidestand cutout is either faulty or nonexistent (haven't worked that one out yet).

15. :facepalm: KickSTAND is what i meant, and you knew it :p

16. Rob will always pounce. Be more careful in future, or he may give you a trailerload of pantry moths.

17. No more moths, so you'll have to do with the occasional one line joke. :)