Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Kiama to Cooma

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by rongleef, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Hi, I'm heading down to Thredbo mid March and wanting to do the back road from Nowra past HMAS Albatross and on to Braidwood and the Cooma road, eventually ending up at Thredbo. I have done this a couple of times on my tiger 800 over a couple of years ago, no worries but with the back seat rider who is not so keen on the dirt. I was wandering rather than going via Braidwood if I kept going west and could possibly stay on a sealed road?

2. I did it on Sunday, most of it's sealed now, there is only 15kms or so of dirt between neriga and braidwood.
  3. Exactly , but it's not great quality, and perhaps not the best with a nervous pillion. A longer alternative would be down to Bega, up to the top of Brown Mountain, left down to the Dalgety Road, and across to Jindabyne.....
  4. #4 Bandit01, Jan 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
    Or instead of going out to Braidwood you turn right onto Oallen Ford Rd just after Nerriga, ride through to Sandy Point Rd (hang a left) follow that and it turns onto Cullulla Rd which brings you out at Tarago. It's been a few months since I did this route and there was about 800mts of dirt only on Oallen Ford Rd and I wouldn't be surprised if it was now fully sealed. Much better than going dirt on Nerriga Rd to Braidwood. If you want to end up at Braidwood, then its only a short ride from Tarago.
  5. thanks for the advice folks, via Brown Mountain is a good option. Little bit further than I had planned on the coast but it gives a good entry into the snowies
  6. Oallen ford Rd is sealed except for a tiny bit. Goes through to tarago.
  7. I did the neriga rd dirt section to Braidwood last month on a Vulcan 900 cruiser with my girlfriend on the back. It was a bit too rough for the Vulcan with heaps of corrugations.
    Coming home,We went via Tarago to Neriga. It was a much better option.