Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Key!!!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by TheRealDaniel, Mar 16, 2008.

1. I lost my bloody key already. I didn't even manage to keep the mongrel fo week.

Lucky I made a copy. what happens if you don't have a spare?

2. Your bike will implode if you lose all keys.

Also you can get the numbers from the manufacturer and get it cut that way.

3. More seriously... if you lose your key then you can get another key cut from the little number tag that's attached to one of the original keys.

I suggest writing that number down in a *safe* place. The back of your service book isn't a bad idea, but write it somewhere else as well.

If you lose all your keys (mechanical type) and that number then you have no alternative but to call in a locksmith. They can sometimes cut a new key from the existing lock, other times they can't. It depends upon the bike. If they can't cut a new key from the lock then the locksmith will have to remove the lock, often this means removing fairings and sometimes front ends and drilling the lock out. Very expensive.

If you have an electronic key which some bikes do then you'll have to go back to the dealer and they should have the bikes details on file (or at least obtainable) and will be able to eventually supply a replacement reprogrammed key. This normally costs lots!

Bottom line... get another spare key *now*.

4. a bike dealership should be able to cut a new key simply from your VIN

5. The trouble was averted I found my original in my boot.
    Although I do have a bruise from finding out it was in my shoe.

6. I will jump in here.

Why was the key in your shoe???

7. seems like a safe place to me.

8. i have 2 manufacture keys, and 2 copies, one at home and one with a mate....
    i think ill be safe..hehe