Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Key suddenly not turning...

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by DarkHorse, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light:

2000 model GSXR750 (K1) 80,000km

In the last couple of days I have begun to have trouble turning the key in the ignition barrel. It is most common when I leave it "off" for a couple of minutes, then try to turn it back to "on". I can usually push it in and turn to "lock" although even this is sometimes temperamental.

The only things I can think of that have happened recently are
    1) it has been rained on a couple of times in the last week
    2) I have been through all the main wiring looms checking and re-taping connections after the battery drained (I think it was some water in a connection causing a short or ground leak somewhere) so most of the lines got disconnected and reconnected at least once. Nothing else is playing up electrically.

Neither of those factors seems to explain why a mechanical ignition barrel would intermittently foul up like it is so... any ideas?

Cheers, DH.

2. Spray with graphite, sounds like a sticky pin to me

3. or INOX. The locksmith I use swears by the stuff.

4. Any dry lube will do the trick.
    Inox is brilliant, it goes on wet and the propellent vaporizes pretty quickly leaving behind a teflon lube film.

My locksmith swears by it too ;)

5. I feel warm and fuzzy! GOD agreed with me lmao

6. I just chuck some EZ-lube or WD-40 in there. Usually does the trick!

7. I used to use graphite but its very messy, now I use Ezy glide on my locks and it's ace.

8. I always use Graphite for this kind of thing too... Putting wet lube down a lock always seemed like a very bad idea to me for some reason.

9. I have used grahpite in locks before, was a little messing but it worked

10. And, once you've GOT it woeking using the excellent advice from the above posts, make sure it doesn't happen again by limiting the number of keys on the ring with the bike's ignition key. Ideally just use the key by itself. The weight of the keys pulling down on the pins inside the barrel will wear it and cause on-going problems.

11. Sound advice.
    Car keys that weigh a lot pull down on the pins/wafers and cause premature wear.

On a bike, 99% of the keys sit on top of the nipple clamps and therefore tend to bounce up and down causing undue wear.
    I only ever use JUST the ignition key on its own with a rubber BMW keyring.

Most ignition barrels have a shutter that closes and covers the ignition barrel limiting the amount of water/dust that enters the barrel.

A quick burst of Inox in the barrel every other month is a great preventative.

12. Thanks a lot guys, will chuck some Inox at it in the morning and let you know how it goes.

For the record, I currently only have the bike key, the pin to tighten the Ventura rack screws, and the security screwdriver for the RAM mount on the keyring - only a couple of grams each. I have had more than that in the recent past though, so you may well be completely correct.

Anyhoo, thanks again for the advice! Love this place!

13. Use INOX. Every race team in the world uses this stuff now, because it actually works.

14. Is there anything it can't do?

Gave it a quick spray down the barrel before taking off thismorning, and when I came to go home tonight key turned like new.

Thanks all for the suggestions.