Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

key stuck after the rain?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by A boy named Sue, Mar 1, 2012.

1. If your key is getting a little bit sticky after all of this rain just draw all over it with a soft pencil, insert into the ignition and then repeat a few times. I suppose you could also buy some graphite lube if you plan to continue to ride for the next 1000 years. I did mine today after a few 5 minute key removal sessions indicated that something was wrong - works a treat.

2. good idea, i have found wet lube like WD40 just makes it worse

sometimes pressing the key down, or pushing it toward the front of the bike helps
  3. Hmmmm, don't own a pencil, can I drag it across a keyboard?
  4. I wouldnt use wd40 i use that stuff to clean my chain,before i lube it.
  5. I don't have pencils so I use a crayon instead
  6. Graphite works fine. Available from Bunnings and the like. But use it sparingly as it gets everywhere and stains everything.
  7. Silicon spray usually works well and doesn't leave a mess or a grit-attracting residue. I have graphite and silicon and much prefer the latter. I've used it on door locks with much success.