Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Key for Honda VT250C

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by hornet, Oct 20, 2009.

1. I'm helping to resuscitate a 4/95 build Honda VT250C that hasn't been a goer since about 2006, although it has been stored in a dry secure garage. The battery is completely cactus, but a new one only gets us part the way; the owner left it with his grandmother when he went to sea, and he can't remember where he left the ignition key; (the bike was trailered to its present location from Sydney).

So, how does one obtain a new ignition key (or two, to have a spare) and how much is this likely to cost, etc, etc......

2. The obvious method is to get a mobile locksmith to come around and make you a key on the spot.

The less costly way is to remove the fuel tank and take it to the locksmith

or simply trailer the whole bike to the locksmith

Finally a big maybe but note down the chassis number call Honda and they may be able
    to help. (dont like your chances but)

As for costs simply call them and ask from memory did the take the tank to the locksmith and it wasnt expensive from memory.

Just my 2 cents
  3. Update; we went round to the bike this afternoon and pulled the ignition barrel and wiring out, a locksmith has quoted around $45 to supply a key. This, I hope, will fit the ignition and the lock for the fuel tank; I'm less certain about it working the steering lock and the helmet lock :roll:. We shall see.

On another positive note I was able to get the bike into second and do a run and bump and establish that the engine still turns over :LOL:.
  4. When my key broke in half the locksmith was able to scan it through a computer and identify the actual code required for cutting the key to exact spec, and with that 4 digit code you can get copies cut anywhere later on. Only cost me about $10-20 as they quoted that they'd be able to do it without the computer system which was more like 40.