Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Kevlar versus Organic (OEM) Brake Pads

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by kroeb, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Howdy all,

Does any one have an opinion of whether Kevlar pads are better/worse than the usual metal powder mixed into standard organic pads?

I have the chance to pick up some complete sets of the Kevlar pads (front & rear) for my Bird at a great price. Just wondering if anyone has any experience on the Kevlar pads.

Cheers, Paul

2. Nope, I haven't. But I have the understanding that they're designed to be much better for aggressive riding as they have alot less fade, due to losing heat quickly.
  3. I read somewhere recently that they feel wooden when cold and really need to warm up for maximum performance. I think they're probably fine for a track where the next corner is never far away... but dunno how they'd go for commuting or long stretches with few curves.

I've only ever used OEM, organic and metal sintered pads... so perhaps throw a grain or 10 of salt at this post.

4. :WStupid:

Not the cheap ebay pads floating around are they Paul?
  5. No not from ebay :)

They are Galfer pads from a mate in the USA that had a bulk order for them go wrong and he is now left with them and wants to get rid of them at cost.

Just wondering if they would be a good replacement to OEM when I need to change pads down the track.

I think ROBSALVV is correct in that they would be better suited for track work. I may just get a full set and try them out and let you all know I suppose.

Cheers and thanks for the input folks.
  6. Yep, I've run 1 & a 1/2 sets through my 400. Not sure whether the pads are the cause -but my discs are right on the limit at 71,000kms (I've done all bar about 9,000 of them & the discs measured as new when I got the bike). They do tend to get a bit of a workout though :LOL: :LOL:
    I prefer the feel of a good sintered pad myself. Nothing wrong with the performance hot or cold, I would just like a bit more feel from them. If you're really hauling down hard on them from 200+ they do seem to start to get a bit more bite & feel to them -but how often do you do that on the road? Next set I will go some sintered pads.
    What exactly is a good price?