Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Kevin Rudd is back

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Sir Ride Alot, Jun 26, 2013.

1. #1 Sir Ride Alot, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2013
    Kevin Rudd is the new ALP leader.

Bye Julia.

Rudd elected Labor leader

Date June 26, 2013 - 7:58PM Judith Ireland

Kevin Rudd has been re-elected leader of the Labor Party almost three years to the day since he was deposed by Julia Gillard.
    Mr Rudd won the ballot 57 votes to 45. There was no spill for position of deputy leader however there are reports that Treasurer Wayne Swan has resigned.
    Politics-20130626174833418118-620x414. Click for more photos
    Explosive day in Parliament

An emotional Tony Windsor and Rob Oakeshott announced they will not recontest the next election at Parliament House. Photo: Andrew Meares

He was elected after Ms Gillard called a ballot in a television interview on Wednesday following Fairfax Media reporting that supporters of Mr Rudd were circulating a caucus petition to allow a challenge for the prime ministership.

It also came after Workplace Minister Bill Shorten made the dramatic announcement, less than 30 minutes before the ballot, that he had swapped his support from Ms Gillard to Mr Rudd.

Mr Shorten - who played a key role in the dumping of Mr Rudd as prime minister in 2010 - has been under sustained pressure in recent weeks to switch his allegiance.

It is unclear whether Mr Rudd will stick to Ms Gillard's schedule of a September 14 election or go earlier. The earliest date Mr Rudd can call an election for is August 3.

Ms Gillard retains the Prime Minister title until she visits the Governor-General Quentin Bryce and her commission is ended.

The result may spell the end of Ms Gillard's political career, with Australia's first female prime minister declaring earlier on Wednesday that she would not stand in the next election if she lost the ballot.

It is also expected that cabinet ministers Stephen Conroy and Peter Garrett will now quit the frontbench, as they have previously said they would do so if Mr Rudd was re-elected.

Earlier on Wednesday night, Mr Rudd promised there would be no paybacks for the Gillard camp.

"If I win this ballot, every effort I have in my being will be dedicated to uniting the Australian Labor Party. No retributions, no pay backs, none of that stuff. It's pointless, it's old politics," he said.

Mr Rudd's election as leader also raises constitutional questions, given the Labor minority government.

Earlier on Wednesday, key independent Tony Windsor suggested that he would not support Mr Rudd if he was returned as Labor leader. Other crossbenchers Andrew Wilkie, Adam Bandt, Rob Oakeshott and Peter Slipper have not said if they would support a no-confidence vote against Mr Rudd on the floor of the House of Representatives.

However, other Craig Thomson and Bob Katter have indicated they would back Mr Rudd.
    More to come

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/political-news/rudd-elected-labor-leader-20130626-2oxfu.html#ixzz2XJbp5nlH

• Like Like x 1
  2. #2 Nosoh, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
    yeah dont let the door hit your arse on the way out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Probably too little, too late. Damage is done in the public's eyes.
    Did hear her say(on the radio) "whoever loses today should leave politics for good!"
    Let's see if she meant it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I seem to,remember Bob Hawke, when he was told that the leader of the Liberal Party had been replaced, said "oh well, I'll just beat him instead"....

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Out of the frying pan into the fire, the victim is still Australia.

6. only difference is now we wont have to listen to her talk anymore.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. she just said she is proud of carbon tax
    unbelievable

lieing witch is dead

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wonder if they'd try a no confidence motion to trigger an early election.

That'd REALLY screw the Labourites...

9. Great, fine. Now can we get back to regular transmission? Pleeeeease?
    (Ah, no. We're going to have to endure three nonstop weeks of political postmortems and 'analysis' :rolleyes:. FFS.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. .. And endless ABC prattling and speculation about whether the once-failed leader can rescue some of the furniture from the coming catastrophe.
    Malcolm Makerras summed it up minute ago, he said Rudd will have about a month's 'bounce' in the polls before Australians remember why they hated him so much the first time round....

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Agree @titus, an early election would ease the pain a bit. Rudd might think its in his interests to go that way. I think I might avoid the news for the next week or so.

12. One good thing might come out of this if Conroy actually does resign from the front bench.

• Like Like x 1
  13.  Top
  14. He's not leader yet, the GG might not allow it to happen

15. He may actually make this one work for labor.

16. Whatever, he's just keeping the seat warm for Tony anyway.

17. Ah, the old deck chairs on the Titanic as they sail towards the election iceberg....

18. 27062013%20where%20u%20been%20Kevin%20L.

Larry sure is on the money ;)

19. I, for one, welcome our new queensland overlords.

• Funny Funny x 2