Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Kerosene in motor to clean dirty sight glass?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by karl2ltgc, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Hi my 70,000k r1's sight glass is black an no longer see through.

I was thinking of pulling the sump off to have a go at cleaning it.

But then someone suggested I drain the oil then put a couple litres of kerosene into the motor, which would apparently clean the glass then dump the kero, put fresh oil in and all shall be well.

What do you guys think of this? I know kero is oil based, but wouldnt it have a not so great effect on seals of the motor, what about clutch?

Cheers Karl

2. Isn't kerosine slightly abrasive ?

I seem to recall using kerosene for fine honing/seating on valves on the farm (when alternatives were a *long* way away).

Agro.

3. kero will clean it well, but after the kero flush, i'd fill with new oil, run the baby to temerature and then replace the oil and filter again.
    any residual kero will "cut back" your oil, and a little bit will drastically change the viscosity of the oil, which can be very detrimental to your engine.

4. IF you just change it with good oil then the detergents and cleaners in the oil should brighten it up within a few hundred km's.

Sure you're not just looking at black oil all the way to the top of the glass?

5. Kerosene is not abrasive. It's just not a lubricant, any more than shellite is.

I would NEVER run a modern engine with kero instead of oil.

Sight glasses can be obtained as spares and replaced. It will be pressed in with a circumferential seal.

Grubby sight glasses are a common problem with Beemers because they generally last a long time and like everything that is not a moving part they are prone to sludging if oil changes have not been done religiously.

6. yeah, what he said.
    i must clarify, i wasnt suggesting to run the motor with kero in it :)

7. Spoke to me mechanic, yea i aint doing it.
    Apparently it will just bust up all the seals in the motor. so il just drop the zorst and sump.

8. Good advice.