Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ken Lay continues to be a complete fuggin' idiot: Facebook Drama

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by grue, Oct 5, 2012.

1. http://www.theage.com.au/it-pro/it-...sponsibility-says-top-cop-20121005-273lk.html

What a stupid, useless shite this guy is.

2. Wait, so he's using free speech to throw a turd at them but complaining that they're allowing free speech?

Cognitive dissonance at it's best.
  3. They have a way. It's called a court order. Facebook was kind enough to point that out to them.

now I know why I will never succeed to a position of authority in government or public service. I'm simply not stupid enough.
  4. Would a court order from Aus courts have jurisdiction over a foreign company and foreign server?

5. Except when your going up against the police force, where their word holds more weight than your own, where they use up as much public money and resources as they can, where they can lie/cheat/and misplace critical data without any question, where the accused is GUILTY first and need to prove their innocence.....................................Its not fair and its not unbiased, especially when you go up against the blue gang, who has a god mentality.................
  6. Also how biased would a jury be if it omits anyone with a twitter or facebook page on high profile cases? I'm willing to bet there if a vast difference in the opinions of people on social media than those who are not.
  7. The irony is that KL is not bleating about the accused's right to a fair trial, he's only concerned about VP losing the conviction on a technicality. If police and media, in the past, had never fitted people up for their own convenience there wouldn't be such safeguards against wrongful conviction.
  8. Something important to remember regarding the case in question. The man that was arrested is currently presumed innocent. He has not been found guilty in a court of law.
  9. Judge might remove the jury for that very reason whilst the argument is had?
  10. Last set of stats I saw 70% of Australians hardly ever or don't use social media at all. Take out those people who couldn't care less about current fair's and you have heaps of people who you could sit on a jury.
  11. Not the point I was trying to make. The jury should represent the general public, if you exclude 30% of people who I'm willing to bet have major differences to the other 70%, let alone a huge age difference, it's no longer representative.
  12. Moooooom! Don't embarrass me in front of my friends!!!

umm good point, I'll go drink another coffee...
  13. Most of those I have had interactions with never grew up at all.8-[
  14. Possibly. Though, my experiences are that it wouldn't be that big a difference. I know heaps of older people who use social media a lot and young people who don't touch it.

But i do see your point.
  15. What about all the people who are on Facebook, but still haven't seen or heard anything except what's been on the TV news?
    We've had the disappearance, the supposedly "planted" handbag, the CCTV footage showing a shady character, and let's not forget the 2 "lightning raids" on the victim's husband's house!
    After all that an "informed" jury would probably move to convict the husband...
  16. I rarely watch the news and I hate newspapers, don't trust them much at all. I use Facebook but I don't form a view of a person in cases like this because of what anyone on there says. I prefer to read documents and transcripts from the court when it gets out, you have a better chance of getting some facts out of that than you do out of news outlets trying to beat their competition in a ratings game or opinionated people on social media networks who don't care for fact checking.

Will be interesting to see what happens with this case.
  17. You go after the local ISPs and stop them carrying/disseminating the offending data.

Still a slightly scary path to be going down.
  18. Guys all well and good to discuss the process but you yourselves are seen to be tainting the jury believe it or not when you discuss the alleged. Please keep the discussion only on the process and not the accused.
  19. Did this REALLY just come from VP?
  20. How many hundreds of ISP's are there? This would be one of those situations what immediate action is required to control the amount of damage done. Trying to get all the ISP's to move quickly would be all but impossible. FB on the other hand can remove material quickly... If they choose to