Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Keeping with the flow of traffic

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Markus_15, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Hi, what's your take/ exp on situations where the whole bunch of cars are moving way over the speed limit. Do you keep up or back off. Ps. I ride in 110k zone most of my time. In the morning seems that cagers give f*ck all about the highway speed limit. Very often it ends up in the mid 120s the way they drive. The worst even is that there are stretches of 80km roadworks for approx 3 odd ks. Same story. They just zoom past. I can move to the line next to me and stick to the limit but then you are just awaiting for one of these wankers to scoop you up. Speed like the rest or back off. In "normal" case I tend to move a touch faster then the rest, however is 20ks reasonable as they seem yo do. One zip on the mobile camera and there you go. I can't care less for cagers.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Fair chance your speedo is out.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. I tend to think at traffic speed is safer but if you have reduced points on your license then get into the slower lanes and leave them to the right lanes.

Check your speedo accuracy with a mobile phone GPS app just to make sure you are not out of calibration.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Good suggestions, I'll check my own speed soon

5. I tend to be speeding a little bit anyway so I am either ahead of the traffic, or if they're all speeding, I'm flowing with them.
    In an ideal world I'd be ahead of them always.

• Like Like x 1
  6. You kitten killing murder, think of the children dammit!
    Don't you relies that speeding alters the laws of physics and your bike will implode at 101km/h.

Personally I believe being an obstacle with cars aggressively overtaking you, especially on a bike puts you in more danger than maintaining a safe distance and following the flow of traffic. You'd have to be unlucky to get singled out for going a few km/h given your not in the far right lane.

Certainly slow down through roadworks and known cameras, watching brake lights ahead normally alerts you to mobile cameras.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. I've pondered this too and given the SMISDSY effect I go with the flow. I'd rather not be an obstacle they have trouble seeing (They, Them, you know who you are damn you), like the bicycles in the left lane. But then does that make you less visible? - Moving camouflage, just becoming part of the scenery &c... So if it's not too chockers I go a little faster, occasionally changing lanes in a nice way so that I can be seen to be doing something & maybe less predictable, someone to be watched. Is that a valid technique?

Had a mate in the 70s was sticking to the limit on his bike, motorcycle cop pulled up next to him at the lights and told him something like "Go faster than the cars, for f**ks sake!"

• Like Like x 1
  8. I would agree, it is known from a perception point of view that remaining in a fixed location within a drivers field of view makes you less visible. It's not a vision thing it's a brain processing matter. Moving within your lane, drifting across a lane as you approach cars waiting at intersection etc all calls more attention to you.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. I usually stick to the limit and in the left lane regardless if I'm riding or driving. No point loosing points or license on highways and freeways.

10. If you're OK with speeding then go with the flow. Like the others have said. Best not to be an obstacle.

Usually on those motorways the mobile speed cameras are aimed at your front anyway, so all good.

• Like Like x 1
  11. If you're gonna go with the flow then position yourself so you use the car ahead as a 'shield' to cops as they'll naturally tag a car before seeing you on a bike (hopefully!). Keep an eye on brakelights too. Roadworks is a biggie as you never know when the local constabulary will be there. Again, use cars as a shield. However, if your 'first' then I would probably let a few cars pass then again do the shield trick.

By shield I don't mean ride up their date, but far enough back to kinda tuck out of obvious sight to lasers pointing at you!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. The old truck and trailer routine. Perfect.

13. First thing I'd do is get the speedo checked.

The second thing I'd find out is if speed cameras in your state take a photo of the front or back of the vehicle and then ride accordingly.

As a general rule it is better to be well in front of the traffic and travelling slightly faster than it. But if that's not an option for you, too close to losing to losing your licence or too inexperienced to filter etc then make sure you control your buffer zones as best you can and keep an good eye on what's happening ALL around you.

14. On a bike faster or keeping up with traffic and follow the keep left unless overtaking rule

unless in urban areas with lots of side roads, then stick to or below the speed limit

15. Let them pass. Do your own thing not what others do. Don't let the speedsters goad you into also speeding. It is your license at stake and you life at risk. It appears to me that more bike accidents are from loss of control than from rear enders and usually only a single vehicle incident.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Interesting. I've found the opposite. (That most traffic goes below the speed limit these days on highway (100, 110k zones)). (Probably all 'right on' the speed limit from their speedo's perspective, but most speedo's are out). And that it's roadworks and small towns that they're normally happy to speed through.

As such, if the majority of the traffic is going above the speed limit in 100+ zones then as others have suggested, my first thought is that most likely your speedo is out.

Otherwise if this isn't the case the next question you need to ask is what's more important. The extra magin of safety you have to yourself by speeding up, or the extra margin of safety you have to your wallet and points by slowing down and make a decision based on that. Each person will be different depending on how many points they have, what their income is like, etc...

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Apparently it is only NSW where the majority of motorcycle accidents are single vehicle. robsalvvrobsalvv

As for putting your life at risk by going faster than the traffic, well that's only an issue if you ride beyond YOUR limits...

18. Just picking up the last point, maintaining a slight positive differential to the traffic speed - where it makes sense and doesn't put your license in legal jeopardy - is a standard piece of advanced roadcraft. It means the rider needs to worry less about the hazards from behind and can be more focussed on the hazards from the front and sides. It also means that the rider's background from the POV of an outside observer is always changing making the bike easier to see.

Yep, in Victoria SVA's aren't the lion share of motorcycle fatalities and interestingly, there are more car SVA's as a percentage than bike SVA's.

I haven't dissected the national figures so can't make any comment on the big picture.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. As is often the case Rob you put it better than I did.

20. Tough question. Police often like to target motorbikes, so if you are in the flow that are all speeding, don't be surprised if it's you that they pull over.