Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Keeping the dream alive!

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by ianf, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Hi. My name is Ian. I am currently riding a 2008 BMW GS1200.
    This is my fourth bike since 1980. Last bikes:
    Honda 500/4 Cafe Racer 1980
    Kawasaki Z1100 1982
    Yamaha RD350 1990
    Pushbike 1999 - 2014
    BMW GS1200
    I am back on a bike since a gap of nearly 20 years and loving every minute of it.
    I have also just returned from India where i rode Royal Enfield 350 and 500cc for over 20 bum numbing hours. Looking forward to some great rides around Australia.

2. Welcome to the forum Ian

Where are you based on the island?

3. Cronulla

4. Nice and close to the National Park and the great riding roads of the South Coast and the Highlands.
    Welcome to Netrider.
    The old RD Yamahas were great fun, weren't they?

5. I miss the cafe racer 500 and the RD. I rode both on track but the RD was the most fun on the road. Especially the wet. Power sliding around wet corners was scary but fun.

6. My first bike was an RD250, brand new in 1974. By the time I sold it it was a 350, with expansion chambers, solo seat and rearsets, radically different gearing and it was the terror of the Ten Mile on the Putty Road!! I KNEW the guy I sold it to would crash it, and he did; I should have kept it.

7. I saw a mint condition RD350 in Cronulla last week. It had been restored to its former glory. Made me want to jump on and ride. hahaha.
    Funny, but my GS is so much more powerful and quick but the excitement of the RD was awesome.

8. welcome aboard :]

9. Gday Ian. Your 1200gs would love riding round tassy if you havent already done so. Lot of guys with beemers head down there theyre just great long distance tourers. I just got back from there on my 800gsa

10. I have been looking at all the photos from Tassie on facebook. Looked amazing. I will try go to the Safari next year.

11. Welcome man! You have a great portfolio of bikes, my fav is from the error of 1999 - 2014! LOL

12. I'm a newbie too and still finding my way around Netrider. What an adventure in India! You should post a story about that one. I had a gap of about 28 years and am now committed to making up for lost time. I just love a café racer myself but for maturity reasons like a little bit of comfort and power=D