Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Keeping face warm in closed helmets?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Kowasaki, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Hey, just wondering what I can get to keep the wind off my face in a closed helmet, I get a lot of air flow straight up between he chin and and my face and it get's pretty cold at night.. Will a simple neo half mask work?

2. A neck sock would help
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Used to wear a balaclava, but since I got my shark vision R helmet with the chin blind I haven't needed to..
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. neck sock is good, or thin balaclava - silk is best. Neck sock can be sourced easily - bike shop or ski shop, silk balaclava will take a bit of looking for - wish list stuff.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. A polar fleece neckwarmer would and does the trick ......find them on ebay.....
  6. I am actually confused, your profile says you are from Hervey Bay, it don't get cold up there!!!!!!! Oh in winter I ride with thermal layers x 2 heated under shirt, heavy pants and jacket, thick neck sock, big winter gloves. heated grips and blizzard hand covers, you guys up north are soft :p

Oh and thermal socks!!!!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. A neck sock would be too hot in Hervey Bay. Not sure why no one else mentioned it etiher given you specified the wind getting up under your helmet.

Get a chin curtain for your helmet, look up your helmet manufacturer for one.

8. I also should mention that I have an official Netrider neck-warmer, with the Netrider logo, given to me by, I'm sure Jason won't now mind me saying, Vic! It's a very treasured possession....
  9. It is usually warm up here but at night it can get a bit chilly hooking in at 100km/h for the 15 min it take me to get home haha. I'll have to see if I can source a chin curtain for my helmet, otherwise a thin tube/sock/whatever will be next choice..
  10. Grow a beard?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Wear a scarf, easy. Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet. It won't escape; don't go there please.
  12. Already got that, doesn't help much haha. I usually end up licking my mustache out of boredom and then my upper lip gets cold...
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Yeah, this thing blocks wind quite nicely. I also use a "turtle fur" branded wool balaclava(wool neck warmer sewn onto the polyester+cotton(I think) headpiece) for winter commuting. It's a bit bulky but it keeps me warm when Melbourne weather gets especially nasty.
  14. I have a SHOEI helmet and grabbed a whisper kit .. I take it out during summer, but it helps a lot during the winter

[​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1